Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1
(BINGHAMTON, NY) - Adonis Medina dealt seven strong innings to lead the Fightins to a 4-1 win on Monday night in their first meeting of the season against the Binghamton Rumble Ponies at NYSEG Stadium.
Medina (6-3) permitted just an unearned run on three hits and did not allow a walk across seven innings, picking up four strikeouts in the win.
The right-hander faced the minimum through the first three innings, yielding a single to Patrick Mazeika but quickly erasing him on a double play in the second.
Reading (17-9) (56-37) was held scoreless by Harol Gonzalez (4-4) through the front five before Mickey Moniak got the offense going in the sixth.
Moniak opened the frame with a single through the right side, and with one out, Darick Hall scorched a double to right. Cornelius Randolph then drew a four-pitch walk to load the bases, and Josh Stephen pulled a ground out toward the hole on the right side that permitted Moniak to score the night's first run.
Austin Bossart doubled the Reading lead in the seventh, belting a 2-0 pitch from reliever Ryder Ryan over the left field wall to make it 2-0 Fightin Phils. An out later, Jose Gomez struck a double to left-center, and moved to third on a groundout. Alec Bohm then delivered a single up the middle to plate Gomez and push the lead to 3-0.
Medina sailed through the front six before Braxton Lee's ground-rule double opened the seventh, the first time the Rumble Ponies (12-15) (47-44) managed to put a man in scoring position. Barrett Barnes reached on an error on the third baseman Bohm, and Mazeika lofted a sac fly to left to plate Lee and bring it to 3-1.
Jonathan Hennigan worked around a pair of two-out baserunners to toss a scoreless eighth, and Luke Williams cranked a pinch-hit solo shot for his sixth homer of the year in the ninth, extending the lead to 4-1.
Game two of the series is set for 6:45 p.m. on Tuesday, with JoJo Romero on the hill against fellow lefty David Peterson. The game will be broadcast on 610 ESPN and the Fightins radio network beginning at 6 p.m.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region and was voted the #1 stadium in all of Double-A by MiLB's Ben Hill. Follow the Fightins on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins. Purchase tickets at the Seidel Auto Group Deck TODAY - call or TEXT 610-370-BALL, and download the Fightins game and promotional schedule at fightins.com/calendar.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Winner for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Bowie Holds Early Lead to Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Forrest Wall's 8th-Inning Homer Powers Fisher Cats to 2-0 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona - Trenton Thunder
- Fightin Phils Silence Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Announce Player Lineup for 25 Seasons Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #91 Rumble Ponies (12-14) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (16-9) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for July 8th-July 14th - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.