Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive
HARTFORD - Matt Whitehouse turned in a quality start and Bret Boswell slugged a two-run home run to lift the Hartford Yard Goats to a 5-4 win over the Richmond Flying Squirrels Monday night, before 6, 124 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. It was the 28th sellout for the Yard Goats, who have drawn 260,019 this season.
The Yard Goats have won three straight and six of their last nine games.
Playing as Los Chivos de Hartford, the ball club improved to 12-12 in the second half with the triumph.
Whitehouse picked up his first victory as a Yard Goat. Coincidentally, the left-hander's last win came against Hartford, when he was pitching for the Akron Rubberducks on June 12. He was signed by the Colorado organization, after he was released by the Cleveland organization. Whitehouse pitched six innings, allowing two runs on five hits. He walked one and struck out eight.
Hartford snapped a 1-1 tie in the third inning on a lead-off double by Scott Burcham, an RBI-single by Tyler Nevin and Boswell's two-run homer, his 10th of the season. The Yard Goats scored the deciding run in the sixth on a double by Mylz Jones and consecutive wild pitches by reliever Chase Johnson. Jones saved the Yard Goats with his defense, ending the top of the seventh with a spectacular diving catch in right field with the tying runs in scoring position.
Three Yard Goats relievers closed out the contest, with Scott Griggs nailing down his fifth save, retiring three straight batters, after yielding a lead off home run to Gio Brusa in the ninth inning.
Nevin had two singles and an RBI and Mylz Jones a double, single and run scored to pace Hartford's attack.
Jalen Miller had two hits for Richmond (10-14). Starter Caleb Baragar suffered the loss, permitting four runs in 5 1/3 innings. He walked one and struck out four.
Game two of the three-game series is Tuesday at 12:05 p.m. on Park and Recreation Day at Dunkin' Donuts Park. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120 AM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
Richmond 4-9-0Hartford 5-8-0
WP- Matt Whitehouse (4-2)
LP- Caleb Baragar (2-3)
S- Scott Griggs (5)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Winner for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Bowie Holds Early Lead to Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Forrest Wall's 8th-Inning Homer Powers Fisher Cats to 2-0 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona - Trenton Thunder
- Fightin Phils Silence Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Announce Player Lineup for 25 Seasons Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #91 Rumble Ponies (12-14) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (16-9) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for July 8th-July 14th - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- "Links at the Yard" Golf Event Returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Informed by Minor League Baseball That 2020 Season Is Canceled
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park