Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve
CURVE, Pa. - Mandy Alvarez laced a two-run double into left field in the seventh inning for the Trenton Thunder to take down the Altoona Curve, 4-3, at Peoples Natural Gas Field on Monday.
The Thunder (49-41,11-14) and the Curve (49-41, 14-9) traded the lead three times in a contest leading up to a critical seventh inning.
Trenton's Chris Gittens walked and Kelin Deglan singled off Austin Coley (Loss, 1-2) to set up the go-ahead knock by Alvarez. In the bottom of the inning, the Curve drew a pair of lead-off walks but the threat was halted by a triple play.
Chris Sharpe popped up a bunt that was caught in the air by Deglan, the Trenton catcher, who threw to shortstop Kyle Holder for the final two outs. Gift Ngoepe was doubled off second by the throw and Mitchell Tolman was tagged out by the shortstop when got within reach of second base.
Jared Oliva broke a 2-2 tie to give the Curve a one-run lead when he delivered a two-out single to center. The hit scored Tolman, who reached base with a walk to extend his on-base streak to 17 games and moved into scoring position on a slow roller to Sharpe for the second out of the inning.
The Curve tied things up in the fourth on a Bligh Madris double that scored two. This was setup by two errors and a walk in the inning.
Trenton got on the board first in the second after a Brandon Wagner double was combined with a single from Rashad Crawford two batters later. It became a two-run frame when Kyle Holder scored Crawford with a single of his own.
Thunder starter Nick Nelson recorded nine of Trenton's 15 total strikeouts of Curve hitters. Over five innings, Nelson limited Altoona to three hits and allowed all three Curve runs scored. Relivers Andrew Bellatti (Win, 1-0) and Brady Lail (Save, 1) silenced the Curve bats over the last four innings, giving up only two hits.
Curve starter Pedro Vasquez was lifted after 2.1 innings. Yeudy Garcia got the club through the next 2.2 without a hit allowed before Coley took over for the sixth and seventh. Blake Cederlind and Joel Cesar tossed perfect eighth and ninth innings, respectively.
The Curve were limited to five hits from two players in the loss. Madris doubled twice to become the first Curve hitter to 20 two-baggers on the season and finished 3-for-4. Oliva went 2-for-4 and stole his 26th base of the year.
The series is set to continue on Tuesday with first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. The Thunder will send right-hander Albert Abreu (4-7, 3.82) to the mound to face off against Curve left-hander Sean Brady (3-6, 3.57).
Gates will open for fans at 5:30 p.m. Be sure to stick around after the game for Rat Pack-themed FIREWORKS, presented by Southern Airways, Hollidaysburg Family Dental, & James E. Van Zandt VAMC. It's Ladies Night at the ballpark as well as Two-for-Tuesday with 2-for-1 specials on tickets, hot dogs and small popcorn, presented by Atlantic Broadband.
For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on non-gamedays and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Winner for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Bowie Holds Early Lead to Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Forrest Wall's 8th-Inning Homer Powers Fisher Cats to 2-0 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona - Trenton Thunder
- Fightin Phils Silence Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Announce Player Lineup for 25 Seasons Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #91 Rumble Ponies (12-14) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (16-9) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for July 8th-July 14th - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Free Food Giveaway at PNG Field on October 13 and 20
- Altoona Curve Hosting Fall Beer Festival on October 17
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Pirates Partner with Curve for Alternate Training Site
- Curve Set Attendance Policies, Entertainment for July 4 Fireworks