Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards
The Eastern League announced Monday that RHP Rony Garcia and OF Matt Lipka have earned the league's Pitcher and Player of the Week awards for the week ending July 15. Garcia and Lipka become the second and third players to earn the weekly honor from the league following RHP Deivi Garcia who was named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the week ending June 23.
Garcia earned the award with eight scoreless innings on Friday night against the Reading Fightin Phils. The 21-year-old right-hander from Mao in the Dominican Republic scattered four hits and did not walk a batter over his outing against Reading. The eight inning outing was the longest by a Thunder starter this season and Garcia matched a season-high with eight strikeouts.
Overall, Garcia is 2-7 with a 4.27 ERA in 11 starts with the Thunder. In his last two starts he is 1-1 with a 1.18 ERA (2 ER in 15.2 IP) and has struck out 13.
Lipka earned the award by going 8-for-14 with three doubles, two triples, one home run and five runs batted in. He became the fourth player to hit for the cycle in the Thunder's franchise history when he completed the task on Thursday night at Reading. Lipka is in the midst of one of his strongest stretches of the season; over his last six games at the plate, he's gone 11-for-22 with four doubles, two triples, one home run and driven in seven.
The 27-year-old was signed by the Yankees as a minor league free agent prior to the 2019 season and is batting .234 with four home runs and 11 stolen bases with the Thunder this season.
The Thunder continue their road trip with a three-game series in Altoona on Monday and return to ARM & HAMMER Park on Thursday night to start a four-game series with the Hartford Yard Goats. Tickets are available at www.TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Winner for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Bowie Holds Early Lead to Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Forrest Wall's 8th-Inning Homer Powers Fisher Cats to 2-0 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona - Trenton Thunder
- Fightin Phils Silence Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Announce Player Lineup for 25 Seasons Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #91 Rumble Ponies (12-14) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (16-9) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for July 8th-July 14th - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.