Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie
The SeaWolves battled from behind on Monday night as they walked off on the Akron RubberDucks, 5-4, in front of a packed house at UPMC Park. The win was the ninth come-from-behind victory of the season for Erie.
The Ducks struck first in the opening frame against Erie starter Alex Faedo. Nolan Jones singled with one out and scored on a two-out Connor Marabell base hit for a 1-0 lead.
Akron added to it's lead in the third as Jones connected on a solo home run to right, his first, for a 2-0 advantage.
The SeaWolves got on the board in the bottom of the third against RubberDucks starter Chih-Wei Hu. Cam Gibson led off and homered to right. His third long ball of the season trimmed the Akron lead to 2-1.
Akron would add to the lead in the top of the fifth. Alexis Pantoja led off with a triple and scored on an Ernie Clement base hit. Clement was tripled home by Jones for a 4-1 lead.
The SeaWolves used the long ball again in the bottom of the sixth against reliever Ben Krauth to close the gap as Frank Schwindel sent a one-out, solo home run to left for his fourth of the season and second in as many games. Daniel Pinero followed with a triple and he came in to score on a Josh Lester sacrifice fly to left making it 4-3.
Erie tied the game in the seventh as Derek Hill sent a two-out, solo home run to left. The home run for Hill was his 11th of the season.
The SeaWolves had an opportunity to take the lead in the eighth as the first two batters reached before Krauth and Kyle Nelson combined to strike out the side.
Erie reliever Nolan Blackwood entered the game in the ninth and gave up a leadoff single to Logan Ice. Akron would move the runner over to third but Blackwood would retire the side, stranding the go-ahead run on third.
In the last of the ninth, Kody Eaves led off and sent a ground ball through the right side, putting the winning run on base. Chace Numata snapped a three-game hitless streak with a double, pushing Eaves to third. Akron then summoned Dalbert Siri to face Hill. Hill singled through the left side, scoring Eaves for the walk-off win. It was Hill's third walk-off hit of the season.
Blackwood (5-2) earned the win in relief for the SeaWolves
Nelson (1-4) took the loss for the RubberDucks allowing a run on two hits with no walks and two strikeouts.
Faedo took the no-decision allowing four runs on six hits with a walk and nine strikeouts in five innings.
The SeaWolves and RubberDucks meet in the middle game of the series on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. RHP Matt Manning (6-4, 2.77 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against RHP Danny Salazar (MLB Rehab).
TUESDAY, JULY 16 - Gates open at 6 p.m. | First pitch at 7:05 p.m.
Kids Eat Free: The first 250 kids, ages 12 and under, receive a voucher for a free Smith's hot dog, Utz chips and Pepsi fountain drink thanks to 94.7 BOB FM.
Two-Buck Tuesday: Fans 21 and older can enjoy $2 drink specials in the Bud Light Beer Garden through the sixth inning.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Winner for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Bowie Holds Early Lead to Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Forrest Wall's 8th-Inning Homer Powers Fisher Cats to 2-0 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona - Trenton Thunder
- Fightin Phils Silence Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Announce Player Lineup for 25 Seasons Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #91 Rumble Ponies (12-14) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (16-9) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for July 8th-July 14th - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.