University Campus of Football Business to Open Study Hub at Toronto FC's BMO Field
University Campus of Football Business (UCFB), the innovative higher education institution delivering sports degree programmes from campuses based inside Wembley and Etihad stadiums in the UK, announced today a partnership with 2017 MLS Champions Toronto Football Club (FC) to create a UCFB Global Study Hub at BMO Field.
Beginning this academic year, the study hub will see Toronto host week-long educational summits for UCFB students and alumni from the UK, Canada and around the world, based inside Toronto FC's home stadium.
Guest lectures, seminars and networking opportunities at the summits will complement UCFB's unique football and sports degree programmes, exploring the inner workings of Toronto FC as well as the cutting-edge operations of the club's ownership group, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE). Attendees will also be able to access other MLSE venues including Scotiabank Arena, Coca-Cola Coliseum and MLSE LaunchPad.
Toronto FC is one of four organisations worldwide that UCFB is partnering with to create its new study hubs, with each city and sports partner having been identified as a leader in its area. BMO Field will sit alongside Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium, New York City's Red Bull Arena and the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia to form a new global network for UCFB students and alumni to enhance their industry expertise and learn from professionals at the world's best sports businesses.
With its first university campus opened in 2011 at Premier League club Burnley FC's stadium, Turf Moor, UCFB currently delivers 13 undergraduate and five Master's degrees in the football and sports business, media and coaching sectors to over 2,500 students from its UK stadium campuses. UCFB Wembley, London, opened in 2014 and UCFB Etihad Campus, Manchester, in 2016 - now hosting over 1,500 and 1,000 students respectively.
UCFB also offers its MSc Football Business and MSc International Sports Management degrees online, allowing Canadians to learn flexibly with optional visits to UCFB hubs at its UK, North American and Australian stadium partners throughout the academic year.
The partnership between the organisations will also see close collaboration on developing educational courses in future, with a focus on Toronto FC and MLSE's expertise in sports innovation and technology.
Sharona Friedman, Chief Marketing Officer at UCFB, commented: "We are very excited to partner with Toronto FC to create what will be a ground-breaking UCFB Global Study Hub in the epicentre of Canada's sporting capital. As a proud Torontonian and Toronto FC fan, I know that the club epitomises everything that we look for in a partner, with a winning mentality and a world-class staff that will add tremendous value to UCFB students and alumni. I truly believe that this partnership between a world leader in sports education and a world leader in sport will see us producing the future leaders of Canadian and global sport in the near future."
The UCFB Toronto FC Global Study Hub will have a distinct Canadian flavour to its educational summits. With students from Canada, the UK and across the globe expected in attendance, Toronto FC and MLSE staff will be working closely with UCFB to showcase everything that makes Toronto a special sporting market.
Chris Shewfelt, VP Business Operations at Toronto FC and Toronto Argonauts, was heavily involved in securing the partnership with UCFB and added: "All of us at Toronto FC look forward to welcoming UCFB students and alumni to Canada through this partnership. BMO Field and Toronto FC will provide a really unique setting to learn and experience the best that Canadian sport has to teach, in a city that is extremely passionate about its teams."
Brendan Flood, UCFB's Chairman, added: "My ultimate vision is for UCFB to be the 'Harvard of Sport'. Working with MLSE, who I believe are the leading multi-sports franchise organisation in the world, will help drive us towards this goal and to producing the best professionals working in football and sport."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 16, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 16, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Continues Make-A-Wish Activities at International Friendly against Borussia Dortmund - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Houston Dynamo - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Chicago Fire Tomorrow Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Orlando City Look for Third-Consecutive Result Thursday in Portland - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Cristian Martinez Called up to U-22 Panama National Team - Chicago Fire
- Brek Shea to Undergo Season-Ending Knee Surgery - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: New York Travels North for Mid-Week Matchup Versus Toronto - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC Partners with Captain Morgan to Enhance Soccer Fan Experience - New York City FC
- Timbers, Lucas Melano Mutually Agree to Terminate Contract - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy 2020 Season Ticket Memberships Available Now - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Unveil New, Groundbreaking West End Stadium Design - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Signs Robin Lod - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce Initial Alumni Night Details - Philadelphia Union
- University Campus of Football Business to Open Study Hub at Toronto FC's BMO Field - Toronto FC
- LA's Biggest Stars Vela, Ibrahimovic Light up El Trafico this Friday - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Postgame Quotes - Colorado Rapids 0-3 Arsenal FC - July 15, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.