FC Cincinnati Unveil New, Groundbreaking West End Stadium Design
CINCINNATI - On Tuesday morning, FC Cincinnati unveiled a new, progressive design for their West End Stadium, which is scheduled to open in March 2021 and will be the future home of the Major League Soccer team.
The $250 million stadium construction cost is being privately funded by the club's diverse, local ownership group, which is led by FC Cincinnati CEO and Managing Owner Carl H. Lindner III.
Designed by world-renowned architecture firm Populous and led by Jonathan Mallie, Senior Principal and Director of the New York office, West End Stadium features an ambitious interpretation of Cincinnati on the rise.
Taking the club's goal of creating an iconic and groundbreaking design for the city while prioritizing and amplifying the fan experience, Populous delivered a design that will stand alone among North American stadiums and take a place among the world's most distinctive sporting venues.
The stadium will truly be "The Jewel of the Queen City's Crown."
EXTERNAL DISTINGUISHING FEATURES
A complete, 360-degree canopy roof will cover every single seat in the stadium
A total of 513 vertical fins will form the wave-like external structure that encloses the stadium
Custom LED lighting on each fin will help the stadium appear to glow when lit for evening events
Through a feature seen only on West End Stadium, a one-of-a-kind lighting feature utilizing the fins' LED lighting system will allow unique motion sequences to be displayed on the stadium's east-facing faÃ- ade
The west-side facade will feature a more traditional, glass aesthetic to create a smooth transition into the surrounding neighborhood
A total of six entrance gates will bring fans into the building at concourse level
The Grand Staircase rises 30 feet from Central Parkway, providing a regal entrance into the stadium and showcasing the club's world-famous supporters march
The Mercy Health Plaza, located in the southeast corner of the stadium, will provide accessible community programming space at the crossroads of two neighborhoods: the West End and Over-the-Rhine
INTERNAL DESIGN FEATURES
Final seating capacity will be between 26,000 and 26,500, pending the final seating manifest
A 110-yard by 75-yard natural grass field
A central field tunnel that guides the teams out just inches from the fans
A total of 59 suites - including 2 party suites and 3 three field-level suites - the most in MLS for a venue that does not also host an NFL team
A total of 4,500 total seats in the premium clubs
Four distinct premium club areas, each with unique designs and amenities, varying hospitality options and different locations throughout the stadium
3,100 safe-standing seats in The Bailey, the designated supporter's section that encompasses almost the entire north end of the stadium
The Bailey rises from field level at a dramatic 34-degree pitch, continuously spanning both seating levels of the stadium
The upper mezzanine wraps around three sides of the stadium to completely enclose the bowl
The upper mezzanine is also pitched at 34 degrees, putting the farthest seat in the stadium only 130 feet from the field
The closest seat is 15 feet from the playing field
Two video boards and two LED ribbon scoreboards that wrap the mezzanine's faÃ- ade around the stadium
Indoor seating to accommodate 75 media members in the press box, plus three television booths, four radio booths and one auxiliary broadcast booth on the east-facing press level. Six TV broadcast trucks (including satellite trucks) can be accommodated in the broadcast compound, with overflow space adjacent to the stadium.
Stadium Website: westendstadium.com
Fast Facts, Important Dates of Note and Fun Facts
Frequently Asked Questions
Populous Stadium Overview
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
Carl H. Lindner III, FC Cincinnati CEO and Managing Owner
"We are so proud of this incredible design that Populous has delivered to FC Cincinnati. It has been so well-thought and concepted, so carefully crafted. We believe it will stand as a true icon and unifying force in our city. Our deep passion for FC Cincinnati is to create a legacy in this city, contribute a positive impact on our community and help raise the profile of Cincinnati not only nationally, but also around the world. We believe that soccer, as the world's game, is a true unifying force and can bring our region closer together. West End Stadium provides us a remarkable platform to continue pushing those goals even further and enhance our impact not only locally, but across the globe. With West End Stadium as our platform, more people will learn about - and fall in love with - Cincinnati. Locally, our region's youth will dream of stepping out on the West End Stadium pitch, playing for FC Cincinnati, and representing the Queen City in a game that is broadcast around the world. Those are incredible motivating factors behind everything we do and West End Stadium is central to actualizing those ambitions."
Jeff Berding, FC Cincinnati President
"As a Cincinnati native and life-long resident, I have nothing but pride knowing our West End Stadium will be a strong symbol of this city on the world stage. We incorporated a lot of research and first-person feedback from fans and executives around the league with the goal of setting a new standard for both design and experience. We firmly believe we've not only matched the league's best, but pushed the bar further and will deliver a superior fan experience for our incredible fan base. A strong reason why we're in this position as a first-year MLS team just four years after our founding is because of the amazing, visible pride and exuberance of our fan base. West End Stadium was designed to showcase and harness that passion and create an extraordinary atmosphere and home-field advantage for our team. We cannot wait to start playing in West End Stadium in 2021."
Jonathan Mallie, Populous Senior Principal and New York Director
"There's a dedication and authenticity to soccer in Cincinnati that rivals any city in the U.S. Our design for FC Cincinnati harnesses the energy of the fans to create a world-class soccer atmosphere."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 16, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 16, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Continues Make-A-Wish Activities at International Friendly against Borussia Dortmund - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Houston Dynamo - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Chicago Fire Tomorrow Night - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Orlando City Look for Third-Consecutive Result Thursday in Portland - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Cristian Martinez Called up to U-22 Panama National Team - Chicago Fire
- Brek Shea to Undergo Season-Ending Knee Surgery - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: New York Travels North for Mid-Week Matchup Versus Toronto - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC Partners with Captain Morgan to Enhance Soccer Fan Experience - New York City FC
- Timbers, Lucas Melano Mutually Agree to Terminate Contract - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy 2020 Season Ticket Memberships Available Now - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Unveil New, Groundbreaking West End Stadium Design - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Signs Robin Lod - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce Initial Alumni Night Details - Philadelphia Union
- University Campus of Football Business to Open Study Hub at Toronto FC's BMO Field - Toronto FC
- LA's Biggest Stars Vela, Ibrahimovic Light up El Trafico this Friday - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Postgame Quotes - Colorado Rapids 0-3 Arsenal FC - July 15, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- "Party at the Pitch," week of activities planned ahead of Sunday's #HellisReal rivalry game
- Special Edition of "The Prematch Meeting LIVEâ? Set for Friday Night
- Sunday's #HellisReal game: Concession, merchandise specials announced
- Trade Alert: Turn in Crew Gear, Get 30% off at FCC Store
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 19, 2019