Union earn a point on the road in defensive battle
CINCINNATI, Oh. - The Philadelphia Union earned one point on the road against FC Cincinnati. The Union defense and goalkeeper Andre Blake held Cincinnati to a scoreless draw, with Blake denying the only registered shot on goal by Cincinnati in the 92nd minute. The shutout marks the Union's fifth of the season and Andre Blake's 35th shutout of his career. Both Ray Gaddis and Jose Martinez returned to the starting lineup this evening, Martinez missing the last match from a yellow card accumulation. With a yellow card in the 59th minute, Captain Alejandro Bedoya will miss the Union next match. The Union return home to Subaru Park on September 27 where they will face Inter Miami CF (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 0 - FC Cincinnati 0
Nippert Stadium (Cincinnati, OH)
Wednesday, September 23, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr.
Assistant Referees: Cory Richardson, Peter Balciunas
Fourth Official: Natalie Simon
VAR: Hilario Grajeda
Weather: 67 degrees and clear
CIN - Joseph-Claude Gyau (caution) 19'
CIN - Kendall Waston (caution) 47'
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya (caution) 59'
CIN - Haris Medunjanin (caution) 63'
PHI - Kacper Przybylko (caution) 79'
CIN - Frankie Amaya (caution) 90'+3'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Ray Gaddis (Matt Real, 56'), Jakob Glesnes, Mark McKenzie, Olivier Mbaizo; Alejandro Bedoya, Jose Martinez, Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson (Sergio Santos, 72'), Andrew Wooten (Ilsinho, 57'), Kacper Przybylko
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Cole Turner, Jack de Vries, Warren Creavalle, Anthony Fontana, Aurelien Collin
FC Cincinnati: Nick Hagglund (Mathieu Deplagne, 80'), Tom Pettersson, Andrew Gutman, Frankie Amaya, Haris Medunjanin, Joseph-Claude Gyau, Allan Cruz, Brandon VÃ¡zquez (Yuya Kubo, 68'), Jürgen Locadia, Kendall Waston, Spencer Richey
Substitutes not used: Greg Garza, Maikel van der Werff, Zico Bailey, Caleb Stanko, Bobby Edwards
Blake's 35th career shutout and fifth of 2020.
The Union picked up its fifth clean sheet of the season. The five shutouts in the club's first 13 MLS regular season games ties the best mark in the club's history matching the 2019, 2017 and 2012 season.
Defender Ray Gaddis returned to the starting eleven at right back tonight after not appearing during Sunday's win against the Montreal Impact.
Jose Martinez returned to the starting lineup after missing last match due to yellow card accumulation. Tonight's start is his tenth of his Union career.
Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro earned his 35th career start with the Philadelphia Union.
Forward Kacper Przybylko built off his MLS Team of the Week Honors with another start up top. Przybylko scored a brace last time out for the Union and in 2019 netted a goal against FC Cincinnati.
The Union return home to Subaru Park on September 27 where they will face Inter Miami CF (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 23, 2020
- D.C. United Lose 1-0 against Nashville SC on the Road - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Roll Past Inter Miami, 4-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Defeats Houston Dynamo 4-0 at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Rough up Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC (1) - New York City FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
- FC Cincinnati remain unbeaten at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Union earn a point on the road in defensive battle - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Beats Kansas City 2-1 to Set Club Record Seven-Game Unbeaten Streak - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeat FC Dallas 1-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Dynamo Fall to Chicago Fire FC 4-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Falls to Atlanta United FC 1-0 - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Even 0-0 with 10-Man D.C. United at Halftime - Nashville SC
- Revolution Top Montreal Impact, 3-1 - New England Revolution
- Impact Stumble to 3-1 Loss at New England - Montreal Impact
- Timbers to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC's Nicolas Lodeiro Staying Perfect from the Spot: MLS Week 13 News & Notes - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - September 23, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Defender Danilo Silva Announces Retirement - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Team up to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Forward Matheus Aias to Undergo Additional Medical Testing - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Bryan Reynolds Signs New Four-Year Contract - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Minnesota United FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union Agree to Record-Breaking Transfer of Homegrown Midfielder Brenden Aaronson to UEFA Champions League Club FC Red Bull Salzburg
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park
- Union remain in second place in Eastern Conference after win