Rapids Rough up Earthquakes
The Colorado Rapids became the latest team to run riot over the struggling San Jose Earthquakes, surging to a 5-0 win at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday night.
Colorado dominated possession throughout the 1st half and might have found themselves up by a couple of goals early on if not for a nice pair of stops by Daniel Vega. And, in fact, it eventually got one past Vega in the 29th minute through Kellyn Acosta's pretty right-footed strike outside the box, but Video Review showed Jack Price was offside on the buildup.
The next one Vega let in would surely count, though. In the 35th, Price served up a perfect ball from outside the box to Cole Bassett, who headed it home to put the Rapids on the scoresheet.
It didn't take long into the second half for the hosts to double the margin. In the 50th minute, Acosta received the ball just beyond the top of the box and played a pretty ball to Jonathan Lewis, who drew Vega out of the net and cued it past the Quakes keeper for his 5th of the season to make it 2-0.
San Jose came very close on a corner kick routine in the 63rd to cut the lead in half, but Judson's attempt from right on the doorstep saw William Yarbrough make himself big to preserve the shutout. An own goal by the Quakes' Tommy Thompson in the 70th iced the match away as the Rapids would cruise to its 3rd win in 4 matches, adding two more for good measure in the latter stages for the match's final margin.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 23, 2020
- D.C. United Lose 1-0 against Nashville SC on the Road - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Roll Past Inter Miami, 4-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Defeats Houston Dynamo 4-0 at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Rough up Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC (1) - New York City FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
- FC Cincinnati remain unbeaten at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Union earn a point on the road in defensive battle - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Beats Kansas City 2-1 to Set Club Record Seven-Game Unbeaten Streak - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeat FC Dallas 1-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Dynamo Fall to Chicago Fire FC 4-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Falls to Atlanta United FC 1-0 - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Even 0-0 with 10-Man D.C. United at Halftime - Nashville SC
- Revolution Top Montreal Impact, 3-1 - New England Revolution
- Impact Stumble to 3-1 Loss at New England - Montreal Impact
- Timbers to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC's Nicolas Lodeiro Staying Perfect from the Spot: MLS Week 13 News & Notes - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - September 23, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Defender Danilo Silva Announces Retirement - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Team up to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Forward Matheus Aias to Undergo Additional Medical Testing - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Bryan Reynolds Signs New Four-Year Contract - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Minnesota United FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Announce Partnership with Ã¢ÂÂI Am a Voter' and Ã¢ÂÂRally the Vote'
- Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches
- October 10 Match against LA Galaxy Postponed
- Major League Soccer and Wells Fargo Team up to Recognize Community MVPs