Two-Run Ninth Gives Tacoma Victory over Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. - Garrett Olson struck out nine and the Tacoma Rainiers used a ninth-inning rally to beat the Portland Beavers 4-2 Wednesday night at PGE Park.
With the game tied at 2-2, the Rainiers (11-13) loaded the bases with one out in the top of the ninth. Ezequiel Carrera's chop single scored Josh Bard and Michael Saunders walked to force in a second run as Tacoma took a 2-1 lead in the series.
Olson, who gave up two runs across his seven innings, teamed with Portland-native Andy Baldwin to hold the Beavers to just three hits. Baldwin (2-1) got the win after pitching two scoreless innings to close out the game.
Ernesto Frieri (1-1), who entered in the ninth, suffered his first loss with the Beavers (11-15), who conclude their series with Tacoma Thursday night at PGE Park. First pitch is 7:05 p.m.
Craig Cooper doubled and had two of Portland's hits.
Saunders, who was 1-for-3 with two walks, singled to lead off the third and eventually scored on a sac fly to center by Mike Carp. The Tacoma lead was doubled in the fifth when Matt Mangini lifted a solo homer just over the top of the wall in left.
The Beavers tied it in the fifth, however. Aaron Cunningham drew a leadoff walk and later scored on Chris Stewart's RBI single to center. With Luis Durango batting, Olson's wild pitch allowed Christian Colonel to score from third with the tying run at the time.
Portland starter Will Inman turned in a solid effort, despite a no-decision. The right-hander struck out five and limited the Rainiers to two runs (1 earned) and three hits across 5 2/3 innings.
NOTES: The Beavers allowed a season-high eight walks ... Portland has lost eight of its last 10 games ... the temperature dipped into the low 40s for a third straight night ... Frieri had not allowed a run this season, a span of 11 outings.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 5, 2010
- Reno Drops 13-7 to Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Two-Run Ninth Gives Tacoma Victory over Portland - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Fall to Memphis in Series Final - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight to Round Rock, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Rally by Isotopes - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Drop Game 3 to Iowa, 9-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Quiet Sounds 2-1, Clinch Series - Round Rock Express
- Sox Take Series' Third Game Versus Fresno, 6-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Salute Your Armed Forces on May 8th at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Conor Jackson To Join Reno Aces On ML-Rehab Assignment - Reno Aces
- SCA Promotions Partners With Minor League Baseball - PCL
- Round Rock Express Acquire 'Rojo' Johnson - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Affected By Astros Catcher Shuffle - Round Rock Express
- Ag Night Headlines Fun-Filled Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Kazmar, Beavers End Skid By Outlasting Rainiers In 11 - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss