Kazmar, Beavers End Skid By Outlasting Rainiers In 11
PORTLAND, Ore. - Sean Kazmar singled home Luis Durango in the bottom of the 11th inning to lead the Portland Beavers past the Tacoma Rainiers 4-3 at chilly PGE Park Tuesday night.
With one out, Levale Speigner (1-3) walked the speedy Durango, who then stole his league-leading 12th base of the season. Kazmar's single up the middle sent the remaining fans home happy as Durango wheeled home from second without a throw.
Despite a costly two-out, ninth-inning error, the Beavers (11-14) were able to end their 10-game losing streak to the Rainiers (10-13), and a four-game losing skid overall. The 10 straight losses, dating back to July 9, 2009, represented the longest losing streak by Portland against one team since returning to the PCL in 2001.
Durango, Kazmar and Anthony Contreras each logged two hits for Portland while Mike Baxter hit his team-leading fourth triple.
Scott Munter (2-1) got the win by pitching scoreless 10th and 11th innings.
Tommy Everidge, Michael Saunders, Matt Tuiasosopo had three hits apiece for the Rainiers.
Saunders' RBI single in the second scored Brad Nelson for the first run of the game.
Eric Munson ripped an RBI double to right in the second to plate Baxter, who had tripled to right-center to start the inning.
The Beavers manufactured their second run as Contreras started the third inning with a single, stole second, went to third on a wild pitch by Rainiers starter David Pauley and scored on the first of third baseman Jack Hannahan's two errors on the night.
Everidge's second home run of the year evened the tally in the seventh.
But the Beavers fired right back with one out in the seventh, getting a single by Durango, a double by Kazmar and a walk to Chris Denorfia. Pauley's first pitch to Baxter got past catcher Josh Bard and let in Durango, the go-ahead run.
Tuiasosopo led off the ninth with his third hit and swiped second two batters later. Then, with two outs, Mike Carp hit a line drive right at left fielder Aaron Cunningham, but Cunningham lost the ball in the stadium lights and Tuiasosopo crossed the plate with the tying run.
Beavers starter Radhames Liz worked around seven hits and three walks to allow just one run in five innings. He fanned six batters.
Pauley gave up three runs (2 earned) on six hits and three walks in seven innings and struck out five.
The Beavers and Rainiers continue their four-game series on Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Before the game, the Padres recalled right-hander Ryan Webb from Portland; right-hander Matt Buschmann, who spent a good portion of 2009 in the Beavers rotation, was transferred to Portland from Class AA San Antonio ... the Rainiers left 14 men on base while the Beavers stranded 14.
Beavers Game File TUESDAY'S GAME: Beavers 4, Tacoma 3 (11 innings) WINNING PITCHER: Munter (2-1) LOSING PITCHER: Speigner (1-3) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: Everidge (2) WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Tacoma (Garrett Olson: 1-2, 4.66) at Portland (Will Inman: 2-0, 2.57), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 5, 2010
- Reno Drops 13-7 to Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Two-Run Ninth Gives Tacoma Victory over Portland - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Fall to Memphis in Series Final - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight to Round Rock, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Rally by Isotopes - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Drop Game 3 to Iowa, 9-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Quiet Sounds 2-1, Clinch Series - Round Rock Express
- Sox Take Series' Third Game Versus Fresno, 6-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Salute Your Armed Forces on May 8th at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Conor Jackson To Join Reno Aces On ML-Rehab Assignment - Reno Aces
- SCA Promotions Partners With Minor League Baseball - PCL
- Round Rock Express Acquire 'Rojo' Johnson - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Affected By Astros Catcher Shuffle - Round Rock Express
- Ag Night Headlines Fun-Filled Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Kazmar, Beavers End Skid By Outlasting Rainiers In 11 - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss