Two Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups
CHESTER, Pa. - Following Philadelphia Union's historic Supporters' Shield victory, the first trophy for the club, and claiming the top seed overall in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, the club announced that two of the club's players have received international call-ups from their respective federations ahead of next week's FIFA international window.
Olivier Mbaizo was called up to the Cameroon Men's National Team and Jamiro Monteiro will join the Cape Verde Men's National Team.
Monteiro joins the Cape Verde National Team also for the Africa Cup of Nations 2021 qualification group stage. Cape Verde will play the third and fourth of their six qualifying matches on Nov. 11 vs. Rwanda and will face them once again on Nov. 17. Monteiro was most recently called up for the first two qualifiers of the tournament in 2019. The team played Cameroon on Nov. 13 in a 0-0 draw and Mozambique on Nov. 18, ending in 2-2 draw. Monteiro has earned seven caps for Cape Verde, six in Africa Cup of Nations qualification matches and one International Friendly. Previously, he was called up ahead of the qualifying match against Lesotho, a 1-1 draw, on Sept. 9, 2018.
This is Mbaizo's second senior team call up for Cameroon as they head into games three and four of the qualification group stage of Africa Cup of Nations 2021. Cameroon will face Mozambique on Nov. 12 and again on Nov. 16. He has earned one senior international cap for the Indomitable Lions when he made his debut as a substitute in a friendly vs. Gabon on September 6, 2016. Mbaizo was last called up for the Cameroon Under-23s for the Africa U23 Cup of Nations in Egypt from Nov. 8-14, 2019. He started all three matches that saw Cameroon go 1-1-1. Earlier in 2019, he was called up to the U23 training camp from Oct. 26-Nov. 4, and for a U23 camp from October 7-15. Before that, he joined the team in September when they took on Tunisia in the Third Round of qualifiers: At Cameroon (Sept. 6; W 1-0) and at Tunisia (Sept. 10; L 1-2).
Both players departed following the Union's final regular-season match on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 9, 2020
- Timbers Forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Annual Charity Gala, a Burgundy Affair, to be Online, Open to the Public - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC Playoff Match Scheduled for Sunday, November 22 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Set to Host New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Colorado Rapids
- To96ther We Rise: Columbus Crew Hosts New York Bulls at MAPFRE Stadium in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, November 21 - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers to Face FC Dallas on Sunday, November 22 in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Faces Portland Timbers on November 22 at 9PM CT in MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match - FC Dallas
- Loons Host Colorado Rapids in Round One of 2020 Playoffs - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Tuesday, November 24 - Los Angeles FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host San Jose on November 22 in MLS Cup Playoffs - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC's 2020 Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Match to Air OnÃÂ YES NetworkÃÂ and UniMas/TUDN - New York City FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - MLS
- Diego Rubio Called up for Chile's November World Cup Qualifiers - Colorado Rapids
- Diego Rubio Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Two Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Houston Dynamo Loan FW Mateo Bajamich to Instituto AC in Argentina for Offseason - Houston Dynamo
- Three Chicago Fire FC Players Called up to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire
- Victor Wanyama Joined Kenya National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Clinch Top Seed in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Rave Green Claim 4-1 Decision Day Win over San Jose, as Sounders FC Locks up Second Place in the West - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Sign Center Back Stuart Findlay
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021
- Round of 16 Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round
- Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract