Diego Rubio Called up for Chile's November World Cup Qualifiers
Chilean national team head coach Reinaldo Rueda has included the Rapids forward in his 25-man roster for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers. La Roja currently sit in seventh place in CONMEBOL qualifying after losing to Uruguay and tying Colombia. Chile hosts Peru on Nov. 13 and visits Venezuela on Nov. 17.
Click here for more info on the Chilean selection.
Rubio has previously earned nine caps for La Roja at the senior level, making his debut on June 23, 2011; this is his first senior call-up for competitive matches, though he's made six appearances in friendlies since 2018.
Rubio's call-up comes within days of his being selected to the MLS Team of the Week following his game-winning strike at Houston. The 27-year-old has three goals and four assists in 16 appearances for Colorado this season.
"Diego is one of the smartest forwards I've ever been around," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said Sunday after Colorado's win at Houston. "His timing and his movement are so good. And today, really his timing, Cole (Bassett's) delivery of the ball into him and the decision he makes to go himself is one where he knows he has a defender thinking about a lot of different things. It's incredibly cunning to get himself inside there and get a look at goal."
The goal was Rubio's third of the season-and second game-winner-to go with four assists. Rubio appeared in 16 of Colorado's 18 matches in 2020, starting 12 in his second year with the Rapids. He put up bigger numbers in 2019 - 11 goals, five assists in 26 games - but for Fraser, Rubio's character allows him to contribute beyond the scoresheet.
"His unselfishness, his ability to lead the press, his timing, his work rate. He's incredibly unselfish in what he does," Fraser said. "This is one of the strengths of this team. There are a lot of unselfish guys on the team that are willing to do work for other guys when they need to and Diego is the first one to do that.
"What he's given us all year is so much more than just goals. What he does is allow us to play the way that we play."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 9, 2020
- Timbers Forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Annual Charity Gala, a Burgundy Affair, to be Online, Open to the Public - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC Playoff Match Scheduled for Sunday, November 22 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Set to Host New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Colorado Rapids
- To96ther We Rise: Columbus Crew Hosts New York Bulls at MAPFRE Stadium in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, November 21 - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers to Face FC Dallas on Sunday, November 22 in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Faces Portland Timbers on November 22 at 9PM CT in MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match - FC Dallas
- Loons Host Colorado Rapids in Round One of 2020 Playoffs - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Tuesday, November 24 - Los Angeles FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host San Jose on November 22 in MLS Cup Playoffs - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC's 2020 Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Match to Air OnÃÂ YES NetworkÃÂ and UniMas/TUDN - New York City FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - MLS
- Diego Rubio Called up for Chile's November World Cup Qualifiers - Colorado Rapids
- Diego Rubio Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Two Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Houston Dynamo Loan FW Mateo Bajamich to Instituto AC in Argentina for Offseason - Houston Dynamo
- Three Chicago Fire FC Players Called up to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire
- Victor Wanyama Joined Kenya National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Clinch Top Seed in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Rave Green Claim 4-1 Decision Day Win over San Jose, as Sounders FC Locks up Second Place in the West - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids' Belief in Youth Key to New Assistant Chris Little's Appointment
- Wolde Harris and Chris Little Join Rapids Coaching Staff as Assistants
- Bassett, Lewis, Trusty and Vines Named to Preliminary Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Roster
- Colorado Rapids Players Support 'Help Colorado Now' COVID Relief Fund
- Colorado Rapids Partner with US Soccer Foundation and Target to Install Mini-Pitch in Denver