Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 9, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes fell to Seattle Sounders FC 4-1 at CenturyLink Field on Sunday afternoon, after defeating LAFC 3-2 on Wednesday evening at Earthquakes Stadium. The Quakes finished the regular season in eighth place in the Western Conference and will now play the top seed Sporting Kansas City in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Sunday, Nov. 22 at 1 p.m. PT (FS1).
REGULAR SEASON STATISTICS
The San Jose Earthquakes punched their ticket to the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, marking the 10th time in club history that the club has reached the postseason, and first since 2017.
Regular Season Results
The Earthquakes finished the season ranked third in corner kicks (140), fifth in shots on goal (116), seventh in shots (305), and 10th in goals scored (35).
Hot at the Right Time
The Quakes held a 6-3-1 record in their last 10 matches, tied for the best record in the Western Conference during that span.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza led the Quakes with nine assists, fourth most in MLS this season and only one assist away from the lead (Nicolas Lodeiro, Alejandro Pozuelo, Darwin Quintero - 10).
Security in Net
Homegrown goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski made 11 starts this season, finishing with a 6-2-3 record and four shutouts.
Club Assists Leader
Midfielder veteran Shea Salinas tallied two assists this season to surpass Ronald Cerritos and become the all-time assists leader in club history with 48.
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored a team-high seven goals to extend his career goals record to 166. He has led the team in scoring in 10 of the past 11 seasons.
100th MLS Appearance
Defenders Florian Jungwirth and Nick Lima each played in their 100th MLS appearance this season.
Homegrown forward Cade Cowell, who turned 17 in October, tallied one goal and one assist in 17 appearances this season.
LAST GAME VS. LAFC (11/4)
Defend our Home
San Jose defeated LAFC on Wednesday, sealing a 4-0-1 record in their last five home matches of the 2020 regular season at Earthquakes Stadium.
The Quakes won a season series against Los Angeles Football Club for the first time ever (2-1-0). LAFC joined MLS as an expansion team in 2018. San Jose also recorded their first-ever home victory over LAFC, who had won both prior meetings at Earthquakes Stadium.
LAST GAME VS. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC (11/8)
Defender Marcos Lopez scored his second goal of the season and the second of his MLS career.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATES
Reno 1868 FC, the USL Championship affiliate of the San Jose Earthquakes, last Friday announced it would cease operations following the 2020 season.
Reno was awarded a USL franchise in 2015 set to begin play in 2017. Through four seasons, Reno recorded a record of 62-26-28 and earned a playoff berth in all four campaigns under head coach Ian Russell, who was named the USL Championship Co-Coach of the Year.
The Earthquakes signed three players - Luis Felipe, Chris Wehan and Jimmy Ockford - directly from Reno following the 2017 season. San Jose also sent many young players on loan to Reno, including Homegrowns JT Marcinkowski, Cade Cowell, Gilbert Fuentes and Jacob Akanyirige, as well as U.S. National Team midfielder Jackson Yueill and Peru National Team defender Marcos Lopez.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 9, 2020
- Timbers Forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Annual Charity Gala, a Burgundy Affair, to be Online, Open to the Public - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC Playoff Match Scheduled for Sunday, November 22 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Set to Host New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Colorado Rapids
- To96ther We Rise: Columbus Crew Hosts New York Bulls at MAPFRE Stadium in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, November 21 - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers to Face FC Dallas on Sunday, November 22 in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Faces Portland Timbers on November 22 at 9PM CT in MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match - FC Dallas
- Loons Host Colorado Rapids in Round One of 2020 Playoffs - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Tuesday, November 24 - Los Angeles FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host San Jose on November 22 in MLS Cup Playoffs - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC's 2020 Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Match to Air OnÃÂ YES NetworkÃÂ and UniMas/TUDN - New York City FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - MLS
- Diego Rubio Called up for Chile's November World Cup Qualifiers - Colorado Rapids
- Diego Rubio Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Two Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Houston Dynamo Loan FW Mateo Bajamich to Instituto AC in Argentina for Offseason - Houston Dynamo
- Three Chicago Fire FC Players Called up to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire
- Victor Wanyama Joined Kenya National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Clinch Top Seed in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Rave Green Claim 4-1 Decision Day Win over San Jose, as Sounders FC Locks up Second Place in the West - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract
- Earthquakes Sign Argentine Defender Luciano Abecasis
- Earthquakes Sign 21-Year-Old Forward Benji Kikanovic
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Midfielder Eric Remedi in Trade with Atlanta United FC
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for October 9