Three Chicago Fire FC Players Called up to National Team Duty
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that defender Francisco Calvo and midfielders Micheal Azira and GastÃ³n Giménez have been called up to their respective national teams for the November FIFA match window.
Azira joins the Uganda National Team for the African Cup of Nations qualifying tournament group stage. Uganda will host South Sudan in the first leg on Thursday, Nov. 12, at 7:00 a.m. CT, before traveling to South Sudan for the second leg on Monday, Nov. 16 at 7:00 a.m. CT.
Calvo's Costa Rica side will travel to Europe for international friendly matches, beginning with one against Qatar on Friday, Nov. 13 at 11:00 a.m. CT at the Stadion Hartberg in Hartberg, Austria. Los Ticos will then face Euskadi (Basque Country) on Monday, Nov. 16 at 1:45 p.m. CT at the Estadio Municipal de IpurÃºa in Eibar, Spain.
Giménez will participate in a pair of CONMEBOL 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches. Giménez will join the Paraguay National Team as it faces Argentina on Thursday, Nov. 12 at 6:00 p.m. CT at Estadio Alberto J. Armando, La Bombonera, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Paraguay will then return to AsunciÃ³n to host Bolivia on Tuesday, Nov. 17 at 5:00 p.m. CT at Estadio Defensores del Chaco.
Giménez, who was called up to Paraguay for the first time in October after completing a one-time change of association through FIFA, scored the game-winning goal in the team's 1-0 win against Venezuela on Oct. 13. He was also in the starting lineup in the 2-2 tie with Peru on Oct. 8. Previously, Giménez appeared in a friendly match for the Argentina National Team against Mexico in 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 9, 2020
- Timbers Forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Annual Charity Gala, a Burgundy Affair, to be Online, Open to the Public - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC Playoff Match Scheduled for Sunday, November 22 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Set to Host New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Colorado Rapids
- To96ther We Rise: Columbus Crew Hosts New York Bulls at MAPFRE Stadium in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, November 21 - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers to Face FC Dallas on Sunday, November 22 in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Faces Portland Timbers on November 22 at 9PM CT in MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match - FC Dallas
- Loons Host Colorado Rapids in Round One of 2020 Playoffs - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Tuesday, November 24 - Los Angeles FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host San Jose on November 22 in MLS Cup Playoffs - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC's 2020 Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Match to Air OnÃÂ YES NetworkÃÂ and UniMas/TUDN - New York City FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - MLS
- Diego Rubio Called up for Chile's November World Cup Qualifiers - Colorado Rapids
- Diego Rubio Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Two Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Houston Dynamo Loan FW Mateo Bajamich to Instituto AC in Argentina for Offseason - Houston Dynamo
- Three Chicago Fire FC Players Called up to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire
- Victor Wanyama Joined Kenya National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Clinch Top Seed in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Rave Green Claim 4-1 Decision Day Win over San Jose, as Sounders FC Locks up Second Place in the West - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils 2021 "Lakefront" Primary and Secondary Jerseys
- Chicago Fire FC Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Chicago Fire FC Partners with Common Goal to Launch the Anti-Racist Project
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder PrzemysÃ Âaw Frankowski Receives U.S. Green Card
- Chicago Fire FC President Nelson Rodriguez Resigns