Timbers to Face FC Dallas on Sunday, November 22 in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will face FC Dallas in the first round of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs at Providence Park on Sunday, Nov. 22, it was announced today. Beginning at 7 p.m. (Pacific), the match will be televised nationally on ESPN.
The MLS Cup Playoffs will feature single-elimination, knockout matches hosted by the higher seed from start to finish. The postseason will consist of a total of 17 knockout matches to be played over 22 days, beginning on Friday, November 20 and culminating with 2020 MLS Cup on Saturday, Dec. 12.
The Timbers secured the No. 3 seed in the Western Conference after earning a 1-1 draw on the road against Los Angeles FC on Nov. 8. It marks Portland's fourth consecutive trip to the postseason - a club record for consecutive playoff appearances. The Timbers have qualified for the playoffs in six of their 10 seasons in MLS.
Portland squares off against FC Dallas in the MLS Cup Playoffs for the third time in its history, posting a record of 2-0-1 in the previous meetings. The two teams first met in the two-legged 2015 Western Conference semifinals, with the Timbers advancing to the club's first MLS Cup. In 2018, Portland recorded a 2-1 win on the road against FC Dallas in the Knockout Round.
The two teams did not play a match during the 2020 season. In the last meeting between the two clubs, Portland recorded a 1-0 win at Providence Park on June 30, 2019. The Timbers have posted a record of 9-8-8 all-time, including playoffs, against FC Dallas. Notably, Portland is 7-1-3 all-time against FC Dallas at Providence Park across all competitions.
With a win, Portland will advance to the Western Conference semifinals to square off against the winner of No. 2 seed Seattle Sounders FC and No. 7 seed Los Angeles FC on Nov. 29, Dec. 1 or Dec. 2.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 9, 2020
- Timbers Forward Jaroslaw Niezgoda Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Annual Charity Gala, a Burgundy Affair, to be Online, Open to the Public - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC Playoff Match Scheduled for Sunday, November 22 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Set to Host New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Colorado Rapids
- To96ther We Rise: Columbus Crew Hosts New York Bulls at MAPFRE Stadium in Round One of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, November 21 - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers to Face FC Dallas on Sunday, November 22 in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Faces Portland Timbers on November 22 at 9PM CT in MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match - FC Dallas
- Loons Host Colorado Rapids in Round One of 2020 Playoffs - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs on Tuesday, November 24 - Los Angeles FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host San Jose on November 22 in MLS Cup Playoffs - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC's 2020 Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Match to Air OnÃÂ YES NetworkÃÂ and UniMas/TUDN - New York City FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match Schedule and Broadcast Details - MLS
- Diego Rubio Called up for Chile's November World Cup Qualifiers - Colorado Rapids
- Diego Rubio Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Two Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Houston Dynamo Loan FW Mateo Bajamich to Instituto AC in Argentina for Offseason - Houston Dynamo
- Three Chicago Fire FC Players Called up to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire
- Victor Wanyama Joined Kenya National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Clinch Top Seed in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Rave Green Claim 4-1 Decision Day Win over San Jose, as Sounders FC Locks up Second Place in the West - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- NWSL Announces 2021 Allocated Players List
- Timbers Unveil 2021 Primary Jersey
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership with TikTok
- Timbers Kick off 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Play on April 6
- Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for Pre-Olympic CONCACAF Qualifying Camp