Timbers Weekly Update: March 14, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - Continuing their stretch of 12 consecutive road games to begin the season, the Portland Timbers travel to take on expansion side FC Cincinnati on Sunday, March 17, at Nippert Stadium. Beginning at 2 p.m. (Pacific), Sunday's match will feature a national television broadcast on FS1 with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Against expansion sides
Portland (0-1-1, 1pt) has posted a record of 5-3-2 against expansion clubs in their inaugural MLS seasons. When playing an MLS expansion team for the first time, the Timbers have notched a 4-2-1 record, outscoring their opponents 11-8 in those seven matches. Sunday's match will mark the first MLS match between Portland and Cincinnati.
Extended road trip
Sunday's match against FC Cincinnati marks the third of 12 games on the road for the Timbers, as the club opens its ninth season in MLS. The Timbers' 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the Timbers will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia.
Scouting FC Cincinnati
FC Cincinnati (0-1-1, 1pt) plays host to the Timbers in its inaugural MLS home match on Sunday. The newest MLS side earned its first point in MLS history, earning a 1-1 draw on the road against Atlanta United FC on March 10. Roland Lamah registered the game-tying goal in the 86th minute, assisted by Kenny Saief. FC Cincinnati suffered a 4-1 loss in its first MLS game against Seattle Sounders FC on March 2, as Leonardo Bertone scored the club's first goal in MLS.
Following an international break, the Timbers return to action on Sunday, March 31, against the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif. The match on March 31 begins at 6 p.m. (Pacific) with a national television broadcast on ESPN2 and local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 14, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: March 14, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Three FC Cincinnati Players Called up for International Matches - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution Loan Zachary Herivaux and Brian Wright to Birmingham Legion FC - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Waylon Francis, Justin Meram and Aboubacar Keita Receive International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: New York Hosts San Jose for MLS Home Opener - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Goalkeeper Trey Muse Called into U.S. U-20 Men's National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Three New England Revolution Players Called in for National Team Duty - New England Revolution
- Five MNUFC Players Called into International Duty - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Players Receive MLS Cup Championship Rings - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires Argentina National Team Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Secures Prestigious Friendly against Real Betis in May - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls to Commemorate 2018 Supporters' Shield at Home Opener on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.