Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4
INDIANAPOLIS - Eric Wood hit a game-tying home run in the sixth inning, but the visiting Tides scored the game's final four runs to avoid a sweep and hand the Tribe an 8-4 loss on Sunday. Ryan Mountcastle homered, doubled and drove in five runs for Norfolk.
The Tides (20-21) beat the Indians (22-18) for just the third time in the last 16 meetings between the two squads thanks to three runs in the seventh to break a 4-4 deadlock. Tribe reliever Sean Keselica (L, 0-2) allowed five consecutive batters to reach with one away in the frame, including an RBI double by Anthony Santander and two-run double by Mountcastle.
The visitors plated their final run in the eighth inning on two hits and a Nick Franklin throwing error. Tides reliever Evan Phillips retired all four batters he faced to seal Indy's fate, giving southpaw Chris Lee (W, 3-1) the victory after he tossed 2.2 innings in relief.
Indianapolis grabbed a 1-0 lead in the second inning without recording a hit. Wood walked with one out, took second on a passed ball and eventually moved to third base on a wild pitch by Luis Ysla. Franklin then drove him home on a sacrifice fly to center field.
Norfolk moved in front with four runs in the fifth inning off Brandon Waddell. Jack Reinheimer leveled the game at 1-1 with an RBI single, and three batters later, Mountcastle drove an 0-2 pitch over the right-field wall for a three-run homer, his sixth on the year.
The Indians immediately capitalized on two walks issued by Lee in the sixth as Wood parked his fifth home run of the season 402 feet to straightaway center, pulling Indy even at 4-4.
Luis Escobar started in place of Mitch Keller with rain in the forecast and went 3.0 scoreless innings before handing over to the bullpen.
The game was delayed due to rain 1 hour and 31 minutes before finally getting underway.
Following an off day on Monday, the Tribe begin a seven-game road trip on Tuesday night in Louisville at 7:00 p.m. ET. Keller (4-0, 3.83) will start for Indy.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Tribe Comeback Falters against Bulls in Extra Innings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (48-48) vs. Durham Bulls (58-40)
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48)
- Mets Blast Four Homers in 15-5 Rout of Tribe