Knights get series win over IronPigs
(Allentown, Pa) - Sunday afternoon didn't treat the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (21-19) all too well as they lost 6-4 to the Charlotte Knights (23-18). They head home after finishing the road trip 2-4.
The Pigs started the game on the right note as Damek Tomscha and Matt McBride both homered off Ross Detwiler (1-0) to take a 2-0 lead. Charlotte answered in the bottom of the fourth inning against Lehigh Valley as Seby Zavala hit a three-run home run off Tyler Viza (0-3) to give the Knights a 3-2 lead.
McBride tied the game at 3-3 in the top of the fifth inning as he hit his second home run of the game off Detwiler. The home run was McBride's fourth of the season.
In the bottom of the fifth inning, D.J Peterson scored on a wild pitch at the hands of Viza then Alcides Escobar hit an RBI double off Viza to give Charlotte a 5-3 lead. Escobar extended Charlotte's lead to 6-3 in the bottom of the seventh inning as he hit an RBI single off Kyle Arjona, who was making his triple-A debut.
Ali Castillo homered off Ian Hamilton in the top of the ninth inning to cut the Knights lead to 6-4. Hamilton would finish out the inning to record his third save of the season.
Josh Martin tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of Arjona.
The IronPigs return home on Tuesday evening at Coca-Cola Park to begin a seven-game homestand. First pitch on Tuesday will be at 7:05 p.m. against the Syracuse Mets.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Tide shifts in Norfolk's favor
- Topsy-turvy game favors Tides
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit
- Three-Run Sixth put Stripers Over
- De Los Santos helps own cause in win over Stripers