Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket
PAWTUCKET, RI - The Pawtucket Red Sox (15-25) ended the Gwinnett Stripers' club record eight-game winning streak with a 5-4 victory on Sunday afternoon at McCoy Stadium in the finale of the three-game series. The Stripers (26-17) raised their International League-leading home run total to 76 with homers from Travis Demeritte and Andres Blanco in the loss.
Scoring Recap: The Stripers took a 2-0 lead against Red Sox starting pitcher Erasmo Ramirez, getting an RBI ground out from Adam Duvall in the third inning and a solo homer from Demeritte (9) in the top of the fourth. After three strong innings, Gwinnett starter Kyle Wright gave up four runs in the bottom of the fourth. Brock Holt (1), rehabbing for the Boston Red Sox, led off with a solo homer to cut the lead to 2-1. Later, with the bases loaded, a two-run single by Juan Centeno put Pawtucket up 3-2. Cole Sturgeon added an RBI single to extend the lead to 4-2. In the fifth, Blanco (7) tied it at 4-4 with a two-run homer off Ramirez. The Red Sox scored the decisive run off Ben Rowen in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Mike Miller.
Stripers Stats: Wright was chased after 3.2 innings with six hits, four earned runs, one walk, and four strikeouts. Rowen (L, 3-1) yielded a run on two hits over 2.1 innings. Shane Carle finished the game with 2.0 innings, one walk, and one strikeout. At the plate, Blanco went 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBIs, Rafael Ortega went 2-for-3 with two doubles, and Demeritte went 1-for-4 with a homer and an RBI.
Red Sox Stats: Ramirez worked 5.0 innings with five hits, four runs (three earned), two walks, and six strikeouts. Jeremy Bleich (W, 1-1), Trevor Kelley (H, 4), and Travis Lakins (S, 2) combined to pitch 4.0 scoreless, hitless innings. Eight different Pawtucket batters had one hit, with Holt going 1-for-3 with a homer and one RBI and Centeno going 1-for-3 with two RBIs.
Postgame Notes: The Stripers hit 17 homers in six games on the road trip, raising their May total to 43 through 18 games (2.39 HR/game). Demeritte homered for the fourth straight game, extending his on-base streak to a team-best 22 games and his hitting streak to nine games. With the loss, Gwinnett is now 4-8 in day games this season (22-9 in night games).
Next Game (Tuesday, May 21): Charlotte at Gwinnett, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Bryse Wilson (2-3, 4.66 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Jordan Guerrero (1-4, 7.82 ERA) for the Knights. Promotion: Coolray Family Value Tuesday. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce Virtual National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Schedule Dates
- Gwinnett Stripers Extend Triple-A Affiliation with the Atlanta Braves
- Gwinnett Stripers Offer Coolray Field Suites as "Office for a Day"
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day