Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) - With a few clutch hits and a solid all-around pitching performance, the Charlotte Knights defeated the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 6-4 in the finale of their three-game series on Sunday afternoon. The win gives the Knights a series win and finishes a 5-1 homestand.
Making his second start for the Knights, veteran southpaw Ross Detwiler (W, 1-0) was sharp from start to finish. Over 6.0 innings, he limited Lehigh Valley to three runs on four hits with no walks and five strikeouts.
Down 2-0 in the fourth, Charlotte got a leadoff walk from Daniel Palka and a single from Alcides Escobar to put a couple runners on for Seby Zavala. The Knights catcher delivered, launching a three-run homer to left, his fifth of the season, to propel the Knights in front 3-2.
Lehigh Valley tied the game in the fifth on a solo home run off Detwiler, but the Knights were quick to respond. D.J. Peterson led off the inning with a double to left and came around to score a couple batters later on a wild pitch to put the Knights in front. Ryan Goins singled with two outs, then Escobar sent him home with a double to the right field gap.
Another RBI from Escobar gave the Knights a 6-3 lead in the seventh, and that would prove to be plenty of support for the Charlotte bullpen.
Making his Knights debut on the mound, Ordisamer Despaigne came out of the bullpen and threw 2.0 scoreless innings with two strikeouts to keep the Knights in front. Ian Hamilton (S, 3) gave up a run in the ninth, but was able to finish the win and earn his team-leading third save of the season.
Offensively, Zavala led the way with the three-run homer, Escobar went 3-for-4 with two RBI, Peterson doubled and scored twice, and Palka also scored two runs in the win.
After a day off on Monday, the Knights begin a three-game road series against the Gwinnett Stripers at Coolray Field. Jordan Guerrero (1-4, 7.82) is scheduled to start the first game for Charlotte. Pre-game radio coverage of the 7:04 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Offering Unique Opportunity to "Work from Home Plate" Starting on November 30
- The Charlotte Symphony Presents a Concert for Charlotte at Truist Field
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Presented by Truist
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Raised over $125,000 for Those in Need
- 2020 Charlotte Area High School Senior All-Star Classic Presented by Truist Set for July 9