Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday
The Red Wings used the long ball to salvage the series and road trip finale with a 6-4 win Sunday evening in Durham.
The Wings (15-24) snapped their tied for season-high five game losing streak thanks to four home runs.
The biggest of the blasts was the seventh inning, go-ahead solo homer from Zander Wiel that broke a 4-4 tie. The homer was Wiel's tied for team-leading seventh of the season.
Randy Cesar gave the Wings the early lead with a two-run homer in the second inning - his fourth of the season.
The Wings also got solo homers from Alex English in the fifth and Jake Cave in the sixth to build a 4-1 lead.
Durham would rally against the Rochester bullpen. After Zack Littell was pulled after just 66 pitches in five innings, Andrew Vasquez allowed three runs on two hits and a walk in just a third of an inning as the Bulls pulled even at 4-4 in the sixth frame.
However, Jake Reed, Gabriel Moya and Preston Guilet combined to toss 3.2 scoreless innings of relief. Guilmet notched the save - his team-leading 5th of the season.
After an off day Monday, the Wings return to Frontier Field to open a seven-game homestand on Tuesday night. Lefty Stephen Gonsalves will come off the IL and make his season debut for the Wings against the Bisons.
WINGS THINGS: OF Luke Raley was placed on the injured list with a left ankle strain prior to Sunday's game...English was called up from Double-A Pensacola to replace Raley on the roster.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Skinner, Cliburn, Valentin Not Renewed by Minnesota for 2020
- USA Baseball Names Two Red Wings to Premier12 Roster
- Twins Division Series Roster Features 18 Former Red Wings
- Red Wings Nominated Again for John Henry Moss Community Service Award
- Dinolfo, Silver Break Ground on the New Frontier: New Turf Coming to Frontier Field