Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday
The Red Wings used the long ball to salvage the series and road trip finale with a 6-4 win Sunday evening in Durham.
The Wings (15-24) snapped their tied for season-high five game losing streak thanks to four home runs.
The biggest of the blasts was the seventh inning, go-ahead solo homer from Zander Wiel that broke a 4-4 tie. The homer was Wiel's tied for team-leading seventh of the season.
Randy Cesar gave the Wings the early lead with a two-run homer in the second inning - his fourth of the season.
The Wings also got solo homers from Alex English in the fifth and Jake Cave in the sixth to build a 4-1 lead.
Durham would rally against the Rochester bullpen. After Zack Littell was pulled after just 66 pitches in five innings, Andrew Vasquez allowed three runs on two hits and a walk in just a third of an inning as the Bulls pulled even at 4-4 in the sixth frame.
However, Jake Reed, Gabriel Moya and Preston Guilet combined to toss 3.2 scoreless innings of relief. Guilmet notched the save - his team-leading 5th of the season.
After an off day Monday, the Wings return to Frontier Field to open a seven-game homestand on Tuesday night. Lefty Stephen Gonsalves will come off the IL and make his season debut for the Wings against the Bisons.
WINGS THINGS: OF Luke Raley was placed on the injured list with a left ankle strain prior to Sunday's game...English was called up from Double-A Pensacola to replace Raley on the roster.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.