Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls mounted a comeback attempt, but could not complete it, falling 6-4 to the Rochester Red Wings Sunday evening at the DBAP. Jake Reed (1-1) recorded the win for the Red Wings, while Hoby Milner (1-1) suffered the loss for the Bulls.
The Red Wings dealt the first blow in the top of the second inning, thanks to a home run by Randy Cesar to drive in two and take an early 2-0 lead. Red Wings starter Zack Littell held the Bulls offense in check, while Tanner English hit a solo-home run to take a 3-0 lead in the fifth.
The Bulls quickly responded in the bottom of the fifth inning, with an RBI single from Jake Somlinski to make it 3-1. The Red Wings reestablished the three-run lead on a Jake Cave solo-home run over the Blue Monster to make it 4-1 one inning later.
In the bottom of the sixth, the Bulls came back, as Mike Brosseau started the scoring with an RBI double to drive in Jake Cronenworth and cut the deficit to two. Nate Lowe was able to score on a wild pitch and Christian Arroyo tied the game at 4-4 on an RBI single.
The Red Wings were able to jump back in front in the top of the seventh inning though, thanks to a solo-home run from Zander Wiel. The home run was the fourth of the day for Rochester, scoring five of their runs via the long ball. Rochester added on one run for good measure on a Cave RBI-single to make it 6-4 in the ninth.
The Bulls head out for a seven-game road trip, beginning on Tuesday night in Norfolk and ending against Charlotte on May 27th, before returning home on May 28th to face the Louisville Bats at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Believe in Magic: Hens Home May 28 - June 2 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Hit Four Homers to Snap Losing Streak Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Hurts Bulls in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Tides Top Tribe in Series Finale, 8-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights get series win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Top Pigs 6-4 to Finish Homestand - Charlotte Knights
- Tebow Hits First Triple-A Home Run, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 8-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Win 7-3 over Bisons Behind Power of O'Grady - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers' Winning Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Beat RailRiders and Rain on Sunday - Toledo Mud Hens
- O'Grady Clubs 3 Home Runs in 7-3 Bats Win - Louisville Bats
- Toledo Edges RailRiders as Rain Shortens Game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt Homers as PawSox Salvage Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- A Mixing Pot in the Tribe Clubhouse - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-21) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-25) at Buffalo Bisons (16-22) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Richard Impresses as Bisons Top Bats, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.