Thunder Rally Late to Beat Yard Goats
Trenton, NJ - The Trenton Thunder scored three runs in the seventh inning and came from behind to beat the Hartford Yard Goats 6-4 on Saturday evening at Arm & Hammer Park in Trenton, New Jersey. Infielder Brandon Wagner cracked a two-run single to give the Thunder their first lead since Thursday night. Trenton reliever Braden Bristo pitched three scoreless innings, and retired nine of ten batters to earn his first Eastern League win. Scott Burcham had two hits and 2 RBI and Manny Melendez had a hit and drove in two runs for Hartford which was denied a third straight win. The Yard Goats can take three of four from the Thunder with a victory tomorrow night.
The Yard Goats took a 2-0 lead on an RBI double by Manny Melendez in the second inning off Trenton starter Nick Green. Mylz Jones walked and Scott Burcham reached in an infield hit before Chris Rabago's bunt moved runners to second and third. Next, Melendez smashed a double to the centerfield fence scoring Jones and Burcham and putting Hartford in front 2-0.
The Thunder tied the game with a pair of runs in the fourth off Yard Goats starter Brandon Gold. Gosuke Gotoh hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Kellin Deglan and Rashad Crawford cracked a two-out single scoring Brandon Wagner to tie the game at 2-2.
Hartford took a 4-2 lead in the fifth inning on Scott Burcham's two-out double. Nelson Molina came in for Arvicent Perez, who fouled a ball off his face, and contributed with a single. Mylz Jones followed with a single, putting runners at first and second. Burcham then cleared the bases with a double to the gap in left centerfield making it 4-2 Hartford.
However, the Thunder would not go away. Chris Gittens led off the fifth with a solo homer against reliever Ben Meyer to make it 4-3. Justin Lawrence entered in the seventh and walked three of four batters faced. Rayan Gonzalez inherited a bases loaded situation and allowed a two-run single to Brandon Wagner, scoring Ben Ruta and Mandy Alvarez and giving Trenton a 5-4 lead. Isaiah Gilliam followed with a double to make it 6-4. Trenton reliever Braden Bristo pitched the final three innings and recorded the win.
The Yard Goats continue their seven game road trip and wrap up the four game series with the Trenton Thunder on Sunday at 5:00 PM in Trenton, New Jersey. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com. The Yard Goats return to Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford for their next homestand on Thursday, July 25th and host the Akron RubberDucks at 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Ponies Hit Six Homers to Power Past Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Rally Late to Beat Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- McKenna Lands Walk-Off Hit for Baysox in Extras - Altoona Curve
- McKenna Walks off Curve, 7-6, in Extras - Bowie Baysox
- Pony Power Pops RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Holder, Wagner Lead Thunder to Win over Goats - Trenton Thunder
- Homers Don't Help Fightins in 9-4 Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Early Lead Slips Away on Saturday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators Fall after Ninth Inning Letdown - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Dogs with Two in the Ninth to Win 4-2 at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 20th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #96 Rumble Ponies (13-17) at Akron RubberDucks (9-20) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.