Ponies Hit Six Homers to Power Past Ducks
Akron, OH - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies (14-17, 49-46) hit six home runs in their 8-2 win over the Akron RubberDucks (9-21, 43-56) Saturday Night at Canal Park. Patrick Mazeika hit two of them with his second coming as part of back-to-back-to-back home runs in the fifth. Quinn Brodey also hit his first homer in a Binghamton uniform and Luis Carpio hit his second with the Ponies.
Mazeika hit his first homer of the game into the right-centerfield bullpen in the first to put the Ponies on the board. Then with Binghamton up 2-0 in the fifth, Brodey hit a blast over the centerfield wall. Two batters later, Jason Krizan rocketed a solo shot off the batters-eye in centerfield, followed by Mazeika's second of the game to right, and capped off by a solo homer into the right-field seats by David Thompson. The four solo homers in the inning made it 6-0 Ponies.
After Akron scored two in the bottom of the sixth, the Ponies led 6-2 into the ninth. Luis Carpio then drilled a two-run homer over the left-field wall for the Ponies sixth homer of the night.
LHP Kevin Smith (1-0) got the win in his double-a debut allowing three hits, two runs, and walking four over five and two thirds innings. Ryder Ryan pitched two and a third scoreless frames and Matt Blackham closed the game out in the ninth.
Krizan finished 3-5 and has hit two homers in the series (now with 9 total). Thompson has three homers in as many games (now five on the year), and the Ponies have hit 9 homers in the first three games in Akron.
The Rumble Ponies look to take three of four with the series finale Sunday afternoon. First pitch from Canal Park is at 2:05PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF and the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pregame show gets underway at 1:50PM.
POSTGAME NOTES: The Ponies outhit the RubberDucks 14-3...Mazeika now has 51 RBI on the year...Akron, who led the Eastern League in homers coming into the game, has not hit a home run in the series.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Ponies Hit Six Homers to Power Past Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Rally Late to Beat Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- McKenna Lands Walk-Off Hit for Baysox in Extras - Altoona Curve
- McKenna Walks off Curve, 7-6, in Extras - Bowie Baysox
- Pony Power Pops RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Holder, Wagner Lead Thunder to Win over Goats - Trenton Thunder
- Homers Don't Help Fightins in 9-4 Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Early Lead Slips Away on Saturday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators Fall after Ninth Inning Letdown - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Dogs with Two in the Ninth to Win 4-2 at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 20th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #96 Rumble Ponies (13-17) at Akron RubberDucks (9-20) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Rumble Ponies Win Season Finale, Take Three of Four from Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #140: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-44, 66-73) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (36-35, 73-65) - 1:05 PM
- Two Homers Lift Goats over Ponies
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #139: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-42, 66-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-35, 72-65) - 6:35 PM
- Lee Dominates as Ponies Defeat Goats Again