Pony Power Pops RubberDucks
The Binghamton Rumble Ponies' offense, led by four solo home runs in the fifth inning, topped the Akron RubberDucks 8-2 on Saturday night at Canal Park.
With a 2-0 lead entering the top of the fifth inning, Binghamton erupted for four solo home runs, including back-to-back-to-back homers, to extend the lead to 6-0. Quinn Brodey homered off rehabbing Cleveland Indians pitcher Dan Otero. Two batters later, Jason Krizan homered to center field, followed by Patrick Mazeika's home run beyond the right-field seats. After Jordan Stephens came in to pitch, he allowed a David Thompson home run to end the string of long-balls.
RubberDucks starter Chih-Wei Hu was making his second start for Akron and first start at Canal Park. Hu went 3.1 innings, allowing two runs on four hits, walking one and allowing a solo home run. He was relieved by Otero, who struck out Luis Carpio looking and got Mike Paez to groundout to strand an inherited runner. The next frame, the fifth, Otero surrendered three solo home runs to the first four hitters before being replaced Jordan Stephens. Stephens allowed a homer to Thompson, the first batter he faced, but that was the only run he allowed in three innings. Anderson Polanco entered with the bases loaded and one out in the eighth inning and got Krizan to foul out to the catcher and Mazeika to strike out to avoid more damage. In the ninth inning, after allowing a leadoff walk to Thompson and recording two outs, Polanco gave up a two-run home run to Carpio.
The RubberDucks offense managed three hits, two coming from shortstop Ernie Clement and one for second baseman Alexis Pantoja...It was Clement's 22nd multi-hit game of the season, tied with Connor Marabell for second on the team (Pantoja, 24)...Clement has reached base safely in 19 of 20 games, hitting safely in 18. Clement's 76 hits returning from the IL on May 9 lead the EL...Akron managed both of its runs in the sixth inning on a combination of three walks, a balk, two wild pitches and a sacrifice fly by Connor Marabell.
The Rumble Ponies lead the season series 9-4 and is 5-2 in Akron in 2019...The six home runs allowed by Akron pitching is a season as is the four-homer fifth inning...Akron went 0-for-1 with runners in scoring position ... Time of Game: 2:55... Attendance: 6,185
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Rumble Ponies conclude the four-game series on Sunday at 2:05 p.m. at Canal Park. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. LHP Tanner Tully (6-7, 4.54 ERA) is scheduled for the RubberDucks and RHP Harol Gonzalez (4-4, 3.52 ERA) is the scheduled starter for Binghamton.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Ponies Hit Six Homers to Power Past Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Rally Late to Beat Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- McKenna Lands Walk-Off Hit for Baysox in Extras - Altoona Curve
- McKenna Walks off Curve, 7-6, in Extras - Bowie Baysox
- Pony Power Pops RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Holder, Wagner Lead Thunder to Win over Goats - Trenton Thunder
- Homers Don't Help Fightins in 9-4 Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Early Lead Slips Away on Saturday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators Fall after Ninth Inning Letdown - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Dogs with Two in the Ninth to Win 4-2 at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 20th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #96 Rumble Ponies (13-17) at Akron RubberDucks (9-20) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Senior Spotlight Series Rolls on at Canal Park with Two Midweek Senior Night Games August 4th & 6th
- Senior Spotlight Series Continues at Canal Park with Two More Senior Night Games Slated for July 30, 31
- Akron RubberDucks to Host "Swing for Your Swag" July 24
- Senior Spotlight to Feature Hudson and Stow-Munroe Falls/Kent Roosevelt at Canal Park July 25
- Walsh Jesuit, Massillon Washington Set to Face off at Canal Park July 18