Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy
HOUSTON -â¯ Houston Dynamoâ¯FC travel to Carson, Calif. on Wednesday for their first meeting with the LA Galaxy in Southern California since 2019. Houston looks to extend its unbeaten run against the Galaxy to four games on Wednesday and the Dynamo hold a 12-11-9 record against the five-time MLS Cup champions.
The Dynamo snapped a 16-game winless streak on Saturday with a 3-0 victory over Austin FC at BBVA Stadium. Forward Griffin Dorsey scored his first goal of the season in the opening minute of the game, his strike in the 48th second was the fastest goal scored by the Dynamo this season. Dorsey capitalized on a rebound after forward Darwin Quintero forced a save at the far post, Saturday's game was the first start for Quintero who finished with two shots on target and one key pass.
Forward Fafa Picault finished with a brace against Austin FC and now leads the team with eight goals this season. Picault scored his fourth brace in MLS on Saturday and first for the Dynamo. The forward has scored six goals and adds one assist in his last eight games for Houston. Saturday's performance earned Picault a spot in the MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week.
Goalkeeper and Katy native Michael Nelson earned his first clean sheet in league play on Saturday. Nelson finished with two saves against Austin FC and his effort in the 63rd minute finished with Picault's second goal of the game after denying Cecilio Domínguez inside the box.
Houston enters Wednesday's game with a three-game unbeaten streak against the LA Galaxy that began with a 4-2 victory at BBVA Stadium on Oct. 6, 2019. The Dynamo and Galaxy split the series in 2020 with a 1-1 draw on opening day at BBVA Stadium and another 1-1 draw to close group play at the MLS is Back Tournament in Florida.
The Dynamo return to Houston on Thursday to prepare for Saturday's match against FC Dallas at BBVA Stadium. For tickets, updates and additional information, visit HoustonDynamoFC.com.
Houston Dynamo FCâ¯vs.â¯LA Galaxy
Wednesday, Sept. 15â¯-â¯9:30 p.m. CTâ¯â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯
Glenn Davis andâ¯Eddieâ¯Robinson
TeleXitos ch. 47.2 (Spanish)
Alex Parra and Gustavo Rangel
Spanish:â¯TUDN Radio Houston 1010 AMâ¯â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯
Daniel Mejia and Lester Gretschâ¯â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯
Here are three key points ahead ofâ¯Wednesday's game:â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯
FAFA PICAULT WITHIN REACH OF MILESTONE: Dynamo forward Fafa Picault needs two goals to reach 10 this season and match his career-high set in 2018 with the Philadelphia Union. Picault would also be the seventh Dynamo player to reach the milestone and the first since forward Mauro Manotas finished with 13 goals in 2019. The forward has scored six goals in his last eight games and recently led the Dynamo to their first victory since May 22. Five of Picault's eight goals this season have come against in-state rivals and the Dynamo will welcome one of those rivals to BBVA Stadium on Saturday. Prior to shifting focus to Saturday's game, the MLS veteran will look to add his first goal against the Galaxy. Prior to Wednesday's game, Picault has earned two starts against the Galaxy and played in 235 minutes against Los Angeles.
TIM PARKER AMONG FEW IRONMEN IN MLS: Dynamo defender Tim Parker is one of two field players in MLS to play every minute for their team this season. Parker is the only field player in the Western Conference to reach that milestone following 24 games played this season. The center back currently leads the team in games started, games played and minutes. Additionally, the 28-year-old leads the team in blocks with 13 and clearances with 73. The 6-2 defender also leads the backline with 45 aerial duels won through 24 games. Parker will play a key role in Houston's final push for a postseason spot and has been one of the few constants for the Dynamo, who enter with 21 different lineups this season.
GALAXY BUILD BUFFER IN FINAL STRETCH:â¯The Galaxy look to snap four-game winless run this Wednesday after a 1-1 draw with the Colorado Rapids on Saturday. The Galaxy currently sit comfortably in fourth place in the Western Conference with 37 points but look to gain ground on the top half of the table prior to the end of the season. Mexican international Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez will play a key role in that final push after his return from injury on Saturday. Hernandez leads the team with 10 goals and looks to give the Galaxy their first victory since a 1-0 victory over Minnesota United on Aug. 14. The Dynamo backline will also need to contain Kevin Cabral who enters Saturday's game with four goals and one assist. The Galaxy midfield also features Jonathan Dos Santos and USMNT attacker Sebastian Lletget, both returned from international duty
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2021
- Inter Miami CF Earns 0-1 Win over Toronto FC with Late Winner - Inter Miami CF
- New York Falls to Columbus Crew 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC (0) Ã¢ÂÂ (1) Inter Miami CF Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points on the Road with New York City FC in 3-3 Draw - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC at Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Visit Portland for Midweek Clash against Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Announces Second Installment of ATXFC Artist Initiative Rotating Mural Series - Austin FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Hosts Liga MX Side Santos Laguna in the Leagues Cup Semifinals - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Youth Academy Set to Begin Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host Minnesota on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Announce Strategic Alliance, Kick off Latinx Heritage Month Activities and Continue Commitment to Support Vaccination Efforts in South King County - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Faces Orlando City SC on Wednesday Night in Florida - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Charlotte FC Launches Greater Goals After-School Program - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Continues Two-Game Road Swing against San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Hosts CF Montréal on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- #NYCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- The Pitch - Tonight: MLS & LIGA MX All-Stars Face off in Leagues Cup Semifinal - MLS
- Breaking Down the Guzmán Corujo Signing - Charlotte FC
- Luis Montes from León and Juan Dinenno of Pumas Lead Clubs to Leagues Cup Semifinal in Houston; Game Time Set for 10 p.m. CT - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo Lose to Austin FC 2-1
- Houston Dynamo FC Travels to Austin to Close Three-Game Week
- Houston Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 3-0
- Houston Dynamo FC Closes Two-Game Homestand on Wednesday against LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against Austin FC on October 24 Moved to 4:00 p.m. CDT