Sporting KC to Host Minnesota on Wednesday
The fight for Western Conference supremacy will continue in earnest on Wednesday when second-place Sporting Kansas City (12-5-7, 43 points) welcomes regional rivals Minnesota United FC (8-7-7, 31 points) to world-class Children's Mercy Park at 7:30 p.m. CT.
Tickets for the match are available at SeatGeek.com as Sporting and Minnesota lock horns in the second of three head-to-head meetings this season. Bally Sports Kansas City Plus, Bally Sports Midwest Plus, BallySports.com and the Bally sports app will provide three hours of live coverage beginning at 7 p.m. CT, while Sports Radio 810 WHB (English) and La Grande 1340 AM (Spanish) will air local radio calls with The Final Whistle postgame show immediately following on 810 WHB. Supporters can access the Sporting KC app for additional in-game updates and exclusive offers on Wednesday, including a digital coupon for a free carton of Ben & Jerry's ice cream courtesy of Price Chopper.
In conjunction with Wednesday's contest, presented by UMB Bank, The Victory Project will host its annual broadcast auction as Bally Sports Kansas City promotes a premier fundraiser for Sporting Kansas City's charitable foundation dedicated to helping children faced with all of life's challenges. By visiting VictoryKC.org/auction, supporters in attendance and watching from home will have the opportunity to bid on a variety of signed Sporting gear and limited-edition items. All proceeds from the auction will go directly to The Victory Project.
Led by 13th-year manager Peter Vermes, Sporting kept within two points of Western Conference leaders Seattle Sounders FC by claiming a 2-0 home win over Chicago Fire FC on Saturday. The hosts struck twice in the first six minutes -- their fastest two goals ever in a regular season match -- as midfielder Jose Mauri scored on his Children's Mercy Park debut before captain Johnny Russell bagged his fifth goal of the 2021 campaign.
By propelling his team to the shutout on Saturday, goalkeeper Tim Melia has equaled an MLS record by posting 10 wins in seven consecutive regular seasons. Melia has served as a vital cog of an improving Sporting defense that has four shutouts in its last seven games, with center back Andreu Fontas, fellow Spaniard Ilie Sanchez, veteran Graham Zusi and ever-present left back Luis Martins all contributing valuably to the backline.
On the opposite end of the pitch, Sporting's balanced attack has the club ranking second in MLS with 39 goals this season. MLS All-Star Daniel Salloi is tied for second in MLS with 18 combined goals (12) and assists (six), Alan Pulido has amassed eight goals and three assists, and the in-form Russell has five goals and five assists.
Under the guidance of fifth-year head coach Adrian Heath, Minnesota stumbled out of the gates by losing their first four matches in 2021. The return of goalkeeper Tyler Miller between the posts has coincided with an undeniable uptick, as the Loons have gone 8-3-7 with a league-best 0.83 goals against average since May 12. Minnesota has yet to click on all cylinders offensively despite ranking third in MLS in both shots and chances created per match -- their 24 goals are second fewest in the Western Conference -- but the likes of prolific playmaker Emanuel Reynoso (two goals, six assists) and Frenchman Adrien Hunou (four goals) are capable of turning a game in their team's favor.
Fans have billed the ongoing battle between Sporting and Minnesota as "the nicest rivalry in sports," although the friendly moniker has not always matched what has transpired on the field. In the most recent meeting between the teams on Aug. 21 at Allianz Field, Sporting midfielder Remi Walter was controversially sent off with a first-half red card and the rest of the game was marred by chippy confrontations between players on both sides.
The Midwestern rivalry has seen Sporting and Minnesota square off 15 times in all competitions over the last five seasons, a number will grow to at least 17 by the end of the year. In addition to meeting on Wednesday, Sporting will travel to Minnesota once more on Oct. 31 in the penultimate weekend of the regular season.
Sporting owns a 7-5-3 record against the Loons in all competitions, including a perfect 5-0-0 regular season home record. In those five matches, Sporting has posted four shutouts and outscored Minnesota by a combined 11-1. In 10 regular season appearances against the Loons, Melia boasts a 6-2-2 record with five shutouts and a 0.61 goals against average.
Minnesota exorcised their Children's Mercy Park demons in emphatic fashion by claiming a three-goal road win over Sporting in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs last December. Reynoso assisted each goal in the game as Minnesota built an unassailable 3-0 lead before halftime.
Both clubs will have absences to account for on Wednesday. On the Sporting sideline, Jaylin Lindsey and Felipe Hernandez remain long-term absentees and Pulido is listed as questionable with a knee ailment. Minnesota, meanwhile, will be without two key players through suspension -- veteran midfielder Osvaldo Alonso and defender Chase Gasper -- as well as the injured quartet of Juan Agudelo, Hassani Dotson, Niko Hansen and Justin McMaster. Influential midfielder Robin Lod, who leads the team with six goals this year, is questionable with a calf strain.
Sporting Kansas City vs. Minnesota United FC
2021 MLS Regular Season | Match 25
Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. CT
Children's Mercy Park | Kansas City, Kansas
English TV | Bally Sports KC Plus, Bally Sports Midwest Plus
Streaming | BallySports.com, Bally Sports app
English Radio | Sports Radio 810 WHB
Spanish Radio | La Grande 1340 AM
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2021
- Inter Miami CF Earns 0-1 Win over Toronto FC with Late Winner - Inter Miami CF
- New York Falls to Columbus Crew 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC (0) Ã¢ÂÂ (1) Inter Miami CF Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points on the Road with New York City FC in 3-3 Draw - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC at Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Visit Portland for Midweek Clash against Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Announces Second Installment of ATXFC Artist Initiative Rotating Mural Series - Austin FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Hosts Liga MX Side Santos Laguna in the Leagues Cup Semifinals - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Youth Academy Set to Begin Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host Minnesota on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Announce Strategic Alliance, Kick off Latinx Heritage Month Activities and Continue Commitment to Support Vaccination Efforts in South King County - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Faces Orlando City SC on Wednesday Night in Florida - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Charlotte FC Launches Greater Goals After-School Program - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Continues Two-Game Road Swing against San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Hosts CF Montréal on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- #NYCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- The Pitch - Tonight: MLS & LIGA MX All-Stars Face off in Leagues Cup Semifinal - MLS
- Breaking Down the Guzmán Corujo Signing - Charlotte FC
- Luis Montes from León and Juan Dinenno of Pumas Lead Clubs to Leagues Cup Semifinal in Houston; Game Time Set for 10 p.m. CT - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Weekly
- Sporting KC Suffers 2-1 Loss in Vancouver
- Sporting to Visit Vancouver on Sunday
- USWNT Announces Roster for October 21 Match at Children's Mercy Park
- Sporting KC Weekly