Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Announce Strategic Alliance, Kick off Latinx Heritage Month Activities and Continue Commitment to Support Vaccination Efforts in South King County
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced the club's plans for celebrating Latinx Heritage Month - which runs from September 15 to October 15 each year - as part of its dedication to Fight Racism, one of the pillars of Sounders FC's Social Justice Framework.
Latinx Heritage Month activities kicked off with yesterday's special announcement by club ownership of a newly formed strategic alliance between the Rave Green and Orlegi Sports, the business entity that operates Liga MX side Santos Laguna. The strategic alliance includes partnering on social impact activities, sharing technical and business best practices and collaborating creatively around the two brands. Additional details about the strategic alliance are to be released in the coming months, focusing on the further growth of both entities and their respective leagues. This announcement took place at a joint community soccer rally and vaccination clinic hosted by the teams at the newly opened Sea Mar Musuem of Chicano/a/Latino/a Culture in Seattle's South Park neighborhood, which is free to the public.
Following the announcement of the strategic alliance, Sounders FC and Santos Laguna collaborated with Sea Mar Museum to continue support of vaccination efforts, specifically in South King County. Those receiving vaccinations were provided with complimentary tickets to tonight's 2021 Leagues Cup semifinal match between Sounders FC and Santos Laguna, free soccer balls were given to youth and Sea Mar Health offered $100 each to the first 100 people receiving vaccinations at the event. Sounders FC former team captain and current Brand Ambassador Brad Evans was also onsite to practice soccer skills with youth in attendance and to distribute the free soccer balls.
As one of the first official collaborations, Sounders FC and Santos Laguna have announced a joint effort to fund a co-branded RAVE Foundation mini pitch in partnership with Yakima Public Schools, the first RAVE mini pitch in Eastern Washington.
RAVE Foundation mini pitches support Sounders FC's commitment to Defending the Right to Play, focusing efforts on youth in communities of color and in historically marginalized communities in the Puget Sound region - another of Sounders FC's Social Justice Framework core tenets.
In Yakima County, where 50.2 percent of the population identifies as Hispanic or Latino - compared to 13.0 percent of Washington State's total population - the new mini pitch will allow Sounders FC and Santos Laguna to provide an important service for the community's youth, with a safe and available playspace. RAVE Foundation mini pitches are unrentable, meaning they remain open and available at all times to the communities they were built to serve, preserving play opportunities for all children.
Additionally, in recognition of Latinx Heritage Month, Sounders FC and Santos Laguna are donating four autographed jerseys apiece to the Sea Mar Museum, which are being used for a special promotion to encourages fans and the greater community to plan a trip to the Sea Mar Museum, which stands as a celebration of the rich history of Chicano/as and Latino/as in Washington State, and showcases history from post-war immigration to present day. Each week from September 15 through October 15, those visiting the museum can be entered to win one of the autographed jerseys from Sounders FC and Santos Laguna.
During the month, Sounders FC is also continuing to partner with Intentionalist, an online guide to intentional spending that supports small businesses and diverse local communities by making it easier to find and support businesses owned by women, people of color, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, families and people with disabilities.
Throughout Latinx Heritage Month, Sounders FC and Intentionalist plan to highlight Latinx-owned restaurants in the region and the stories of their owners. Each Friday between September 15 and October 15, Sounders FC is hosting a $250 tab at local Latinx-owned restaurants that honor the heritage of a current Sounders FC player.
On September 17, September 24, October 1, October 8 and October 14, customers can visit the featured restaurants to receive the Sounders FC x Intentionalist featured item. More information about the featured small businesses, deals and stories behind the restaurants can be found on the promotion's landing page starting September 15.
Additionally, throughout the month, Sounders FC and Intentionalist encourage fans to recommend their favorite Latinx-owned businesses by posting reviews on the activation's page on Intentionalist.com. Each review posted provides a chance to win a prize pack, including an autographed Sounders FC jersey and Intentionalist gift card.
On September 26, Sounders FC is cohosting a matchday viewing party with Dry Side Supporters, a subgroup of Emerald City Supporters serving Eastern and Central Washington, at Bale Breaker Brewing in Yakima for the club's Western Conference road clash with Sporting Kansas City. As the Rave Green look to defend the right to play and invest not only in Yakima, but across Washington State, the club is excited to bring a day full of soccer and community to fans east of the Cascades.
In addition to watching the match, the event is set to include pop-up soccer activities and a free soccer ball giveaway for youth, courtesy of RAVE Foundation, and plenty of trivia and prizes for fans of all ages. Former Sounders FC captain and current team Brand Ambassador Brad Evans is set to host the evening, and fans will have the opportunity to hear from special guests such Yakima Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Trevor Greene.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2021
- Inter Miami CF Earns 0-1 Win over Toronto FC with Late Winner - Inter Miami CF
- New York Falls to Columbus Crew 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC (0) Ã¢ÂÂ (1) Inter Miami CF Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points on the Road with New York City FC in 3-3 Draw - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC at Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Visit Portland for Midweek Clash against Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Announces Second Installment of ATXFC Artist Initiative Rotating Mural Series - Austin FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Hosts Liga MX Side Santos Laguna in the Leagues Cup Semifinals - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Youth Academy Set to Begin Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host Minnesota on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Announce Strategic Alliance, Kick off Latinx Heritage Month Activities and Continue Commitment to Support Vaccination Efforts in South King County - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Faces Orlando City SC on Wednesday Night in Florida - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Charlotte FC Launches Greater Goals After-School Program - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Continues Two-Game Road Swing against San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Hosts CF Montréal on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- #NYCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- The Pitch - Tonight: MLS & LIGA MX All-Stars Face off in Leagues Cup Semifinal - MLS
- Breaking Down the Guzmán Corujo Signing - Charlotte FC
- Luis Montes from León and Juan Dinenno of Pumas Lead Clubs to Leagues Cup Semifinal in Houston; Game Time Set for 10 p.m. CT - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Rave Green Come up Short in 2-1 Loss at Houston, But Sounders FC Remains Atop the West
- Sounders FC Faces Houston Dynamo in Road Matchup at PNC Stadium
- Sounders FC Clinches Postseason Spot with 4-1 Drubbing of Cascadia Rival Vancouver
- Sounders FC Prepares for Cascadia Clash as It Hosts Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC Announces New Partnership with ExtraMile