Minnesota United FC at Sporting Kansas City Preview
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Going into their game last Saturday, the Loons hoped to make history and take home their first win at Lumen Field. Unfortunately, a goal from João Paulo in the twenty-third minute proved to be the difference and the Loons fell to the Sounders 1-0. Now, the Loons face another tough game on the road in Kansas City. Both teams had Saturday games but found themselves on opposite ends of the scorecard with Kansas City outplaying the Chicago Fire and earning a 2-0 win at home. Both sides will be coming in with quite the incentive to make sure that the game ends in their favor. A win could move SKC to the top of the conference, while taking all three could put MNUFC closer to the top four. With Osvaldo Alonso and Chase Gasper unable to play due to yellow card accumulation and many key attackers still recovering from injuries, it will be up to the men who can suit up to make sure business is taken care of in Kansas.
ADRIAN HEATH ON GOING TO KANSAS CITY ON A SHORT TURNAROUND
"We've got a few players who are carrying knocks and a few guys who've been injured, but hey, that's par for the course in the game. At this stage in the season, most of the players are carrying a little bit of something. It would have been nice to have a few more days to prepare but that's the way it is. We know it's going to be difficult, always is there. Got great amount of respect for Peter [Vermes] and his staff and what they do. I don't see it being any different than it normally is. We're going to have to play well to take something from the game."
DEFENDER DJ TAYLOR ON THE IMPORTANCE OF EVERY POINT DOWN THE STRETCH OF THE SEASON
"It's very important. Once you do all this travel, all this hard work, you want to reward from it. That's what we're looking to do and as a team, I think we can do. We can get three points this Wednesday and get three points against LA [Galaxy] on Saturday."
In the three games that SKC has played since they last met with Minnesota United, they have managed a 1-1 tie with Colorado, a massive 4-0 loss to LAFC, and then a convincing 2-0 win over the Chicago Fire. In their Saturday win over Chicago, Kansas City put in two goals in the first six minutes and the Fire were never able to fully recover from the shock. With this win, Sporting Kansas City has closed in on Seattle and is now in second place out West. Wednesday's rekindling of the Nicest Rivalry in Sports promises to be anything but with both teams desperate for the three points that are up for grabs. In his first game at Children's Mercy Park, recent acquisition José Mauri got his first MLS goal. If the Argentine midfielder is heating up alongside perennial threats Johnny Russell, Alan Pulido and MVP candidate Dániel Sallói, it's going to require everything they've got for the Loons to keep SKC in check.
FIRST TOUCHES: In the all-time regular season series between MNUFC and Sporting KC, the Loons have never taken a point at Children's Mercy Park and have scored only one goal. That lone goal was scored by defender Tyrone Mears - his only goal for MNUFC.
PLAYER AVAILABILITY REPORT:
Agudelo - Thigh
Alonso - Suspended (yellow card accumulation)
Dotson - Knee
Gasper - Suspended (yellow card suspension)
Hansen - Hamstring
McMaster - Thigh
Lod - Calf
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2021
- Inter Miami CF Earns 0-1 Win over Toronto FC with Late Winner - Inter Miami CF
- New York Falls to Columbus Crew 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC (0) Ã¢ÂÂ (1) Inter Miami CF Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points on the Road with New York City FC in 3-3 Draw - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC at Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Rapids Visit Portland for Midweek Clash against Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Announces Second Installment of ATXFC Artist Initiative Rotating Mural Series - Austin FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Hosts Liga MX Side Santos Laguna in the Leagues Cup Semifinals - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Youth Academy Set to Begin Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC to Host Minnesota on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Announce Strategic Alliance, Kick off Latinx Heritage Month Activities and Continue Commitment to Support Vaccination Efforts in South King County - Seattle Sounders FC
- CF Montréal Faces Orlando City SC on Wednesday Night in Florida - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Charlotte FC Launches Greater Goals After-School Program - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Continues Two-Game Road Swing against San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Hosts CF Montréal on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- #NYCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- The Pitch - Tonight: MLS & LIGA MX All-Stars Face off in Leagues Cup Semifinal - MLS
- Breaking Down the Guzmán Corujo Signing - Charlotte FC
- Luis Montes from León and Juan Dinenno of Pumas Lead Clubs to Leagues Cup Semifinal in Houston; Game Time Set for 10 p.m. CT - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
- MNUFC Youth Development Program Announce 2021-22 MLS Next Season Schedule and Roster
- Reynoso Brace Propels Loons Dominant Win over La Galaxy
- Minnesota United FC vs. LA Galaxy Preview
- MNUFC Loans Forward Patrick Weah to Sacramento