Three Columbus Crew SC Players Named to the United States Men's National Team 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that goalkeeper Zack Steffen, midfielder Wil Trapp and forward Gyasi Zardes have received international call-ups from the United States Men's National Team ahead of the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, which runs from June 15 - July 7.
The United States is in Group D of the Concacaf Gold Cup, alongside Guyana, Panama and Trinidad and Tobago. The Stars and Stripes begin their Gold Cup campaign against Guyana in a match set to take place at Allianz Field, Saint Paul (June 18), before facing Trinidad and Tobago at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio (June 22). The U.S. finish out the group stage against Panama in a contest played at Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kansas (June 26). The top two teams of each group are set to advance to the tournament's quarterfinals.
Ahead of the Gold Cup, the United States is slated to play Venezuela in a friendly at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio on Sunday, June 9. Currently, the Americans have an all-time record of 3-0-2 against Venezuela, with the last meeting between the two sides taking place in 2017, with the contest ending in a 1-1 draw.
Goalkeeper Zack Steffen has earned nine caps with the U.S. Men's National Team. He made his debut with the American senior squad as a substitute in a friendly match last year against Bosnia-Herzegovina (January 28). Steffen's most recent appearance for the U.S. came earlier this week in a friendly against Jamaica (June 5). In 2019, Steffen made 13 appearances (13 starts) while recording four shutouts and five wins for Crew SC.
Crew SC captain Wil Trapp has earned 16 caps for the U.S. Men's National Team. He earned his first cap for the Stars and Stripes on January 28, 2015 in a friendly at Chile, entering as a second-half substitute. Trapp made his first start and captained the senior squad for the first time in a friendly match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on January 28. Trapp most recently started for the U.S. in a friendly contest against Jamaica (June 5) earlier this week. In 2019, Trapp has made 15 appearances (15 starts) and has provided one assist for the Black & Gold.
Gyasi Zardes has earned 44 caps with the U.S. Men's National Team, scoring six goals. Zardes made his debut for the U.S. in a friendly against Chile on January 28, 2015, and he scored his first goal for the Stars and Stripes on June 5, 2015 against the Netherlands. The forward most recently featured for the U.S. earlier this year as a starter against Chile (March 26). In 2019, Zardes has made 15 appearances (15 starts) scoring six goals and providing one assist for Crew SC.
Crew SC's current roster features eight players that have received a senior National Team call-up: David Accam, Harrison Afful, Waylon Francis, David Guzman, Jonathan Mensah, Zack Steffen, Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes.
Up next for Crew SC, the Club hosts the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at MAPFRE Stadium for a 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round match on Tuesday, June 11 [7:00 p.m. ET / ESPN+ (Stream)].
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2019
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 5 - 2 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- New York City FC Downs FC Cincinnati 5-2 - FC Cincinnati
- U.S. Soccer Announces Venue Change for Chicago Fire - Saint Louis FC Fourth Round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match - Chicago Fire
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Josef Martinez named to Venezuela's Copa America roster - Atlanta United FC
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in Saint-Lazare this Wednesday, June 12 - Montreal Impact
- More Than 100 MLS Players Take International Stage for Summer of Soccer - D.C. United
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Heads to Philadelphia for Eastern Conference Clash - New York Red Bulls
- More Than 100 MLS Players Take International Stage for Summer of Soccer - MLS
- Chicago Fire Defender Francisco Calvo Named to Costa Rica National Team for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Hosts Third Annual STRIKES with Sounders Fundraiser this Sunday, June 9 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jonathan dos Santos and Giancarlo Gonzalez Named to Final Rosters for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - LA Galaxy
- Preview: Sporting Visits Toronto FC on Friday - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bull Arena Set to Host Boca Juniors and Club America for Colossus Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Five FC Cincinnati Players Called up for CONCACAF Gold Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Named to the United States Men's National Team 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC's Jonathan Mensah Receives International Call-Up for Ghana National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Defender Nick Lima Named to Final USMNT Gold Cup Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Defender Daniel Lovitz Called up by the United States - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Falls 2-1 on the Road in Montreal - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money Via Trade with the Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $110,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the San Jose Earthquakes