Chicago Fire Defender Francisco Calvo Named to Costa Rica National Team for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - Chicago Fire Soccer Club defender Francisco Calvo has been named to Costa Rica's national team for the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.
Calvo, 26, and Costa Rica will open group play against Nicaragua on June 16 at 7:30 p.m. CT at the National Stadium of Costa Rica in San José, Costa Rica. The team will then travel to the United States for a game against Bermuda on June 20 at 8:30 p.m. CT at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. On June 24, the team will wrap up the group stage with a match against Haiti on June 24 at 8:00 p.m. CT at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.
Calvo has earned 46 caps for Costa Rica since making his senior team debut in 2011. During the 2017 Concacaf Gold Cup, he started in five straight matches for Costa Rica, helping to lead the team to a semifinal appearance against the U.S. Men's National Team. The defender also featured in two matches for his home country at the 2018 FIFA World Cup, starting and playing the full 90 minutes against Serbia before notching an appearance against Brazil in the Ticos' second match of the tournament.
The 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup will kick off on Saturday, June 15, at the iconic Rose Bowl in Pasadena, and is set to be the biggest-ever edition of the event, with more participating nations (16 up from 12 in 2017), more host countries (three, including first-time matches in Costa Rica and Jamaica), and more stadiums (17 up from 14 in 2017, eight of which are in contention to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup), including Chicago's Soldier Field, which will host the tournament final on July 7.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2019
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 5 - 2 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- New York City FC Downs FC Cincinnati 5-2 - FC Cincinnati
- U.S. Soccer Announces Venue Change for Chicago Fire - Saint Louis FC Fourth Round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match - Chicago Fire
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Josef Martinez named to Venezuela's Copa America roster - Atlanta United FC
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in Saint-Lazare this Wednesday, June 12 - Montreal Impact
- More Than 100 MLS Players Take International Stage for Summer of Soccer - D.C. United
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Heads to Philadelphia for Eastern Conference Clash - New York Red Bulls
- More Than 100 MLS Players Take International Stage for Summer of Soccer - MLS
- Chicago Fire Defender Francisco Calvo Named to Costa Rica National Team for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Hosts Third Annual STRIKES with Sounders Fundraiser this Sunday, June 9 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jonathan dos Santos and Giancarlo Gonzalez Named to Final Rosters for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - LA Galaxy
- Preview: Sporting Visits Toronto FC on Friday - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bull Arena Set to Host Boca Juniors and Club America for Colossus Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Five FC Cincinnati Players Called up for CONCACAF Gold Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Named to the United States Men's National Team 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC's Jonathan Mensah Receives International Call-Up for Ghana National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Defender Nick Lima Named to Final USMNT Gold Cup Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Defender Daniel Lovitz Called up by the United States - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Falls 2-1 on the Road in Montreal - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Exercises 2021 Contract Option on Defender Jonathan Bornstein
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Luka Stojanovic Undergoes Successful McL Repair
- Chicago Fire FC Loans Chris Brady, Alex Monis and Allan Rodriguez to Forward Madison FC