Earthquakes Defender Nick Lima Named to Final USMNT Gold Cup Roster
SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Earthquakes defender Nick Lima is one of 23 players selected by head coach Gregg Berhalter to represent the United States at the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.
Lima, 24, signed a Homegrown Player contract with the Earthquakes ahead of the 2017 season and was a finalist for the MLS Rookie of the Year award in his debut campaign. He has made 68 total appearances for San Jose, tallying five goals and three assists. Lima made his USMNT debut on Jan. 27, 2019 against Panama, earning Man of the Match honors. He has since made two additional appearances, including in yesterday's friendly against Jamaica.
The USMNT heads to Cincinnati for a tournament tune-up against Venezuela on June 9 at Nippert Stadium. Kickoff for the USA's first visit to the Queen City is set for 11 a.m. PT, and the match will be broadcast live on FOX, UniMas and UDN. Fans can also follow along via U.S. Soccer's official Facebook, Twitter (@USMNT) and Instagram (@USMNT) accounts.
The MNT will begin its quest for a record-tying seventh confederation title when they face Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago and Panama in Group D of the 15th edition of the Gold Cup. The USA kicks off the tournament with its first trip to Minnesota and first meeting against Guyana on Tuesday, June 18 at Allianz Field in Saint Paul, Minn., a venue that has already set the fastest record for a sell-out in tournament history.
Following that match, the U.S. moves east to face Trinidad & Tobago on Saturday, June 22 at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland before closing group play against Panama on Wednesday, June 26 at Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kan.
U.S. MNT GOLD CUP ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (3): 12-Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 7/0), 22-Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0), 1-Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 9/0)
DEFENDERS (8): 14-Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 10/1), 3-Omar Gonzalez (Toronto FC/CAN; 50/3), 2-Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0), 23-Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 5/0), 16-Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 4/0), 19-Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 13/1), 13-Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 29/1), 5-Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 6/2)
MIDFIELDERS (6): 4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 145/17), 20-Duane Holmes (Derby County/ENG; 1/0), 8-Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 8/1), 10-Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 25/10), 15-Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 10/0), 6-Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 16/0)
FORWARDS (6): 17-Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 110/41), 7-Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 22/3), 21-Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres/POR; 0/0), 18-Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 4/0), 11-Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 27/5), 9-Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 44/7)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2019
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 5 - 2 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- New York City FC Downs FC Cincinnati 5-2 - FC Cincinnati
- U.S. Soccer Announces Venue Change for Chicago Fire - Saint Louis FC Fourth Round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match - Chicago Fire
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Josef Martinez named to Venezuela's Copa America roster - Atlanta United FC
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in Saint-Lazare this Wednesday, June 12 - Montreal Impact
- More Than 100 MLS Players Take International Stage for Summer of Soccer - D.C. United
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Heads to Philadelphia for Eastern Conference Clash - New York Red Bulls
- More Than 100 MLS Players Take International Stage for Summer of Soccer - MLS
- Chicago Fire Defender Francisco Calvo Named to Costa Rica National Team for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Hosts Third Annual STRIKES with Sounders Fundraiser this Sunday, June 9 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jonathan dos Santos and Giancarlo Gonzalez Named to Final Rosters for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - LA Galaxy
- Preview: Sporting Visits Toronto FC on Friday - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bull Arena Set to Host Boca Juniors and Club America for Colossus Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Five FC Cincinnati Players Called up for CONCACAF Gold Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Named to the United States Men's National Team 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC's Jonathan Mensah Receives International Call-Up for Ghana National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Defender Nick Lima Named to Final USMNT Gold Cup Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Defender Daniel Lovitz Called up by the United States - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Falls 2-1 on the Road in Montreal - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- LAFC Dominates Earthquakes 4-0
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 19, 2019
- Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut
- Tickets for 2019 NCAA Women's College Cup on Sale Thursday
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019