Thorpe, Red Wings Quiet RailRiders
ROCHESTER, NY - The story Tuesday night in Rochester was Red Wings starting pitcher Lewis Thorpe, and he stifled the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders offensive attack over eight innings en route to an 8-1 victory on a blustery night at Frontier Field.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre jumped on Thorpe early with a solo home run by Gosuke Katoh. It was the fifth homer of the year for Katoh in his 41stat-bat, to tie Mike Ford for the team lead just over two weeks into the season. A season ago, Katoh homered five times, needing 392 AB fewer to hit the mark in 2019. After drilling a home run to right-centerfield for his first Triple-A homer in Buffalo during the opening series of the season, the left-hander's last four homers have all been driven to left-centerfield, including Tuesday's 369-footer.
After allowing the home run, Thorpe dialed in and retired the next 18 men that he faced until Ryan McBroom doubled in the 7thinning. One night after going 0-for-their-final-17, Thorpe added to the pitching dominance for Rochester as the difficult stretch ran to 1-for-37 at one point spanning the two games.
Thorpe set a new career-high with 8.0 innings pitched and matched his career-high with 12 strikeouts, which he logged in his previous start. After not having struck out 10+ batters multiple times in any season in his career, he exited Tuesday night having done it in consecutive starts.
The RailRiders and Red Wings return to action Wednesday night with a 6:05 p.m. first pitch coming from Frontier Field. RHP Chance Adams (0-1, 10.32) takes the ball for the RailRiders against a to-be-determined starting pitcher for Rochester. Pregame coverage begins at 5:35 p.m. with Adam Marco and Adam Giardino on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Gwinnett's Three-Run Fifth Spoils Big Night for Elmore - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeated by Bulls Back at Home, 9-2 - Louisville Bats
- Riley, Wright Lead Stripers Past Indians, 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Blanked Tuesday by Mets, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Thorpe Dominant in Wings Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Thorpe, Red Wings Quiet RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Shut out Bisons, 2-0, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Grullon streaking as IronPigs beat Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Slug Their Way to Series Opening Victory over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Team MVP Kevin Newman Begins Rehab with Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (10-6) at Gwinnett Stripers (8-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls to Host Bull City Strong Day May 1 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Durham Bulls (6-10) at Louisville Bats (8-10) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: April 23-28 - Louisville Bats
- Minor League Baseball and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Youth Baseball and Softball Fields Across the Country - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed