Riley, Wright Lead Stripers Past Indians, 5-2
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Austin Riley went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two RBIs, and Kyle Wright tossed 5.0 one-run innings to help the Gwinnett Stripers (9-9) defeat the Indianapolis Indians (10-7) by a 5-2 score on Tuesday night at Coolray Field.
Scoring Recap: Jake Elmore opened the scoring in the second inning with an RBI double to give the Indians a 1-0 lead. In the fourth, Riley led off with a double and scored on a sacrifice fly by Pedro Florimon to tie the game at 1-1. Gwinnett took the lead in the fifth on a two-run double by Riley scoring Luis Marte and Andres Blanco to make it 3-1 Stripers. Later in the inning, Riley came in to score on a balk by Geoff Hartlieb to make it 4-1. Gwinnett raised the lead to 5-1 on an RBI fielder's choice by Ryan LaMarre that brought in Florimon. Elmore (1) cut the lead to 5-2 on a ninth-inning solo home run off Grant Dayton.
Stripers Stats: Wright (W, 1-1) picked up his first win of the year after he pitched 5.0 innings and allowed one run on four hits. He walked three and struck out four. Ben Rowen (H, 1) and Rafael De Paula combined to throw 3.0 scoreless innings. Dayton gave up one run on the homer in the ninth, but closed out the win. In addition to Riley's two-hit effort, Rafael Ortega also went 2-for-4 with a stolen base.
Indians Stats: Starter Alex McRae (L, 1-2) yielded four runs on seven hits over 4.2 innings. Elmore went 3-for-4 with a double, homer, and two RBIs.
Quote: "I hit the ball well, still working on a lot of things," Riley said. "I have put some good swings on the ball and just haven't been getting results and tonight I was able to get some results."
Postgame Notes: Blanco has reached base safely in 12-straight games since April 8, hitting .383 (18-for-47). Wright is the first Gwinnett starting pitcher to win since Kolby Allard on April 8 vs. Durham, snapping a streak of 12 games without a starter win.
Next Game (Wednesday, April 24): Gwinnett vs. Indianapolis, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. LHP Sean Newcomb (0-1, 3.18 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP JT Brubaker (2-0, 1.69 ERA) for the Indians. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Gwinnett's Three-Run Fifth Spoils Big Night for Elmore - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeated by Bulls Back at Home, 9-2 - Louisville Bats
- Riley, Wright Lead Stripers Past Indians, 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Blanked Tuesday by Mets, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Thorpe Dominant in Wings Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Thorpe, Red Wings Quiet RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Shut out Bisons, 2-0, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Grullon streaking as IronPigs beat Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Slug Their Way to Series Opening Victory over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Team MVP Kevin Newman Begins Rehab with Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (10-6) at Gwinnett Stripers (8-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls to Host Bull City Strong Day May 1 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Durham Bulls (6-10) at Louisville Bats (8-10) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: April 23-28 - Louisville Bats
- Minor League Baseball and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Youth Baseball and Softball Fields Across the Country - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett
- Gwinnett Stripers to Debut "Thirsty Thursday" in 2020
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2020