Bisons Blanked Tuesday by Mets, 2-0
Gregor Blanco led off the bottom of the first inning with a home run, giving the Mets the only score they would need in a 2-0 victory over the Bisons on a rainy Tuesday night at NBT Bank Stadium in Syracuse. Buffalo was held to just three singles in a loss that dropped them to 4-11 on the season.
Blanco hit 3-1 pitch from Herd starter Jacob Waguespack over the wall in right centerfield for his second home run of the season. That run was plenty for Mets' starter Drew Gagnon, who allowed just four base runners in seven innings to earn his second win of the season. He walked two and struck out six, preventing the Herd from advancing any runner past first base for the entire game.
Arquimedes Caminero came on in the eighth inning and retired the first five batters he faced. Syracuse then brought in David Thompson, who struck out Cavan Biggio looking to end the game.
Biggio had one of the Bisons three hits in the game, but he was thrown out in the second inning when he tried to stretch the single into a double. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. went 1-for-4 with a single and two strikeouts in the loss.
Jacob Waguespack allowed just one run on three hits over five innings, but suffered the defeat to fall to 2-2 on the season.
Syracuse added an unearned insurance run in the eighth inning when Travis Taijeron drew a one-out walk and pinch runner Rajai Davis stole second and scored on a Bisons fielding error.
Quick turn around for the Bisons as they will face the Mets Wednesday morning with a 10:35 a.m. first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Gwinnett's Three-Run Fifth Spoils Big Night for Elmore - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeated by Bulls Back at Home, 9-2 - Louisville Bats
- Riley, Wright Lead Stripers Past Indians, 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Blanked Tuesday by Mets, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Thorpe Dominant in Wings Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Thorpe, Red Wings Quiet RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Shut out Bisons, 2-0, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Grullon streaking as IronPigs beat Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Slug Their Way to Series Opening Victory over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Team MVP Kevin Newman Begins Rehab with Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (10-6) at Gwinnett Stripers (8-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls to Host Bull City Strong Day May 1 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Durham Bulls (6-10) at Louisville Bats (8-10) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: April 23-28 - Louisville Bats
- Minor League Baseball and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Youth Baseball and Softball Fields Across the Country - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Malacaro Joins Blue Jays Minor League Announcers in 'Around the Nest'
- Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation Donates $20,000 to City of Buffalo's COVID-19 Initiatives
- Mayor Byron Brown Thanks the Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation for Supporting Community During COVID-19 Crisis
- Bisons Mother's Day Sale Includes 25% OFF
- May 31st Micah Hyde Charity Softball Game at Sahlen Field Postponed