Team MVP Kevin Newman Begins Rehab with Indy
INDIANAPOLIS - Today the Indianapolis Indians announced, in conjunction with the Pittsburgh Pirates, that infielder Kevin Newman has joined the Tribe on a major league rehab assignment. Newman, 25, was placed on the 10-day injured list with a right middle finger laceration on April 11, retroactive to April 9.
Newman was hitting .273 (3-for-11) with one double and two RBI in six games for Pittsburgh before suffering the injury. His two-bagger gave the Pirates a walk-off win over Cincinnati on April 6.
The California native starred for Indianapolis in 2018, batting .302 (132-for-437) with four homers, 30 doubles, 74 runs scored and 28 stolen bases. Those numbers warranted him Team MVP honors following the season. He was named to the International League's mid- and postseason All-Star teams, as well.
He was selected by the Pirates in the first round (19th overall) of the 2015 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Arizona.
Newman is the fifth major league rehabber to have played for the Tribe this season. Catcher Elias Diaz was the first to join the club while outfielder Gregory Polanco and relief pitcher Dovydas Neverauskas joined Indy on rehabs shortly thereafter. Outfielder Lonnie Chisenhall is still with the Indians on his rehab assignment.
Indianapolis' MLB rehab assignments are presented by Franciscan Health.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Gwinnett's Three-Run Fifth Spoils Big Night for Elmore - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeated by Bulls Back at Home, 9-2 - Louisville Bats
- Riley, Wright Lead Stripers Past Indians, 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Blanked Tuesday by Mets, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Thorpe Dominant in Wings Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Thorpe, Red Wings Quiet RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Shut out Bisons, 2-0, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Grullon streaking as IronPigs beat Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Slug Their Way to Series Opening Victory over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Team MVP Kevin Newman Begins Rehab with Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (10-6) at Gwinnett Stripers (8-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls to Host Bull City Strong Day May 1 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Durham Bulls (6-10) at Louisville Bats (8-10) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: April 23-28 - Louisville Bats
- Minor League Baseball and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Youth Baseball and Softball Fields Across the Country - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.