Grullon streaking as IronPigs beat Pawtucket
(Allentown, Pa) - Lehigh Valley IronPigs (13-4) catcher Deivy Grullon has been red hot to begin the 2019 season. He led the IronPigs to a 9-4 win over the Pawtucket Red Sox (7-10) on Tuesday night up at McCoy Stadium. Grullon went 2-for-4 with a home run that broke a 1-1 tie in the top of the second inning to extend his hitting streak to eight games.
Pawtucket did score first as Rusney Castillo hit an RBI single off Nick Pivetta (1-0) in the bottom of the first inning. Shane Robinson tied the game at 1-1 in the top of the third inning by hitting an RBI single off Chandler Shepherd (0-3).
After Grullon's home run in the top of the second inning, Dylan Cozens hit a three-run home run off Shepherd in the top of the fifth inning to extend Lehigh Valley's lead to 5-1. Castillo answered with a three-run home run off Pivetta to cut the IronPigs lead to 5-4 in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Lane Adams homered off Domingo Tapia in the top of the sixth inning to give the IronPigs a 6-4 lead. Matt McBride hit a two-run single off Trevor Kelley in the top of the eighth inning and Malquin Canelo added a sacrifice fly.
Edgar Garcia, Josh Martin and Tom Windle all pitched scoreless innings in relief.
The IronPigs and Red Sox play on Wednesday night at 6:05 p.m. from McCoy Stadium.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Gwinnett's Three-Run Fifth Spoils Big Night for Elmore - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeated by Bulls Back at Home, 9-2 - Louisville Bats
- Riley, Wright Lead Stripers Past Indians, 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Blanked Tuesday by Mets, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Thorpe Dominant in Wings Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Thorpe, Red Wings Quiet RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Shut out Bisons, 2-0, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Grullon streaking as IronPigs beat Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Slug Their Way to Series Opening Victory over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Team MVP Kevin Newman Begins Rehab with Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (10-6) at Gwinnett Stripers (8-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls to Host Bull City Strong Day May 1 - Durham Bulls
- Game Notes: Durham Bulls (6-10) at Louisville Bats (8-10) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: April 23-28 - Louisville Bats
- Minor League Baseball and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Youth Baseball and Softball Fields Across the Country - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.