The Setup: Pigs and Red Wings Begin Three-Game Set
The IronPigs hit the road for three games beginning tonight at 7:05 p.m. in Rochester.
PITCHING MATCHUP Ranger Suarez will make his Triple-A debut against Stephen Gonsalves for the Red Wings. The pitching matchup is presented by Allentown Family Foot Care, which provides the latest in medical and surgical treatments.
Suarez is the number nine prospect in the Phillies system according to MLB Pipeline. A member of the Phillies 40-man roster, Suarez began the season in Double-A Reading where he went 4-3 in 12 starts for the Fightin Phils. Gonsalves is considered one of the top left-handed pitching prospects in the minor leagues. On the year he is 5-3 in Triple-A with a 4.56 ERA after starting the year 3-0 in Double-A Chattanooga.
LAST GAME Joey Meneses cut the 4-0 lead in half, when he smacked his 14th home run of the season over the right field wall to plate two runs. The Pigs threatened plenty of times through the night, but the RailRiders pitching staff kept the Pigs mostly quiet for the rest of the evening.
Nestor Cortes (2-3) earned the victory after allowing only three hits over seven innings, including the Meneses home run. The RailRiders offense ended up giving him a couple of more insurance runs in the sixth, with consecutive RBI singles from Clint Frazier and Brandon Drury. At the end of the night, four different RailRiders had posted multi-hit games.
HEAD-TO-HEAD This is the second trip of the season for the Pigs to Frontier Field. After this weekend the Pigs will make one more trip to Rochester when they wrap up the 2018 regular season in September.
The IronPigs and Red Wings have an even 4-4 record against each other this season. When the Pigs made the trip to Rochester in May they split their four-game series. Overall the Pigs lead the all-time series 93-85 against the Red Wings.
NEXT WEEK AT COCA-COLA PARK The IronPigs return to Coca-Cola Park on Monday when they welcome the Syracuse Chiefs for a short two-game set. Prior to the game, 3,000 adults 18 and over will receive a Patriotic T-Shirt, and all fans can bring their furry friends for another TD Bank Dog Day.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, click here or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Four-Run Eighth Leads Chiefs to Comeback Win over Herd - Syracuse Mets
- Clippers Hold on to Claim Game Two - Columbus Clippers
- Knights Sink the Stripers 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Come up Short Again in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Big Fourth Buries Tribe in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- 'Pigs Edge Wings in 10 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rosa, Bats Can't Hold off Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Hens Win in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Fall to Chiefs, 5-4 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens, 8-4 - Louisville Bats
- RailRiders Top Red Sox to Even Record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Take Game 1 in Extra Innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Fall 7-4 to RailRiders in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- On-Field Movie Night Is August 10 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-34) at Columbus Clippers (39-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, June 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 29 - Louisville Bats
- LHP Jordan Guerrero Promoted to Charlotte Today - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Celebrate a Patriotic Week of Festivities at Coca-Cola Park - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs and Red Wings Begin Three-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Week with Five Fireworks Shows - Durham Bulls
- David Mickey Evans Added to Sandlot Night Festivities - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats to Host July 3 Media Hot Dog Eating Contest - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- IronPigs Announce COVID-19 Safety Plan for Coca-Cola Park
- Gary Jones to Manage IronPigs in 2021
- IronPigs Season Update
- IronPigs Announce 2021 Season Game Times
- IronPigs Announce 2021 Schedule