Pigs Take Game 1 in Extra Innings
The Lehigh Valley IronPigs and Rochester Red Wings gave the fans a little bonus baseball Friday at Frontier Field. The Pigs manufactured a run in the top of the 10th and took the series opener 2-1.
The IronPigs jumped on the board first in the top of the second inning on an RBI single by Mitch Walding. Lehigh Valley was limited to just three hits, and none of its final 23 batters reached base.
Ranger Suarez made his Triple-A debut tonight in Rochester. The No. 9 prospect in the Phillies system allowed one run over 4 2/3 innings of work before exiting the game with an undisclosed injury. Suarez struck out six and allowed eight hits in the game.
The bullpen provided 5 1/3 shutout innings. Jake Thompson did not allow a hit and struck out one in 2 1/3 innings. Tom Windle (6-2) followed with two perfect innings to send the game into extras.
With Danny Espinosa placed on second to begin the top of the tenth, the Pigs brought him home after a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly by Adron Chambers.
Pedro Beato (22) allowed a base hit but closed the door for Lehigh Valley. With the runner on second the Pigs turned a unique double play. On a Nick Gordon sacrifice bunt, Zach Granite attempted to score from second and the Pigs were able to nab him at the plate and turn the 2-3-2 double play.
The Pigs and Red Wings resume their three-game set tomorrow night at Frontier Field. Enyel De Los Santos goes for his eighth win against Aaron Slegers for the Red Wings at 7:05.
The IronPigs return to Coca-Cola Park on Monday when they welcome the Syracuse Chiefs for a short two-game set. Prior to the game, 3,000 adults (18 and over) will receive a Patriotic T-Shirt, and all fans can bring their furry friends for another TD Bank Dog Day.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, visit IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Four-Run Eighth Leads Chiefs to Comeback Win over Herd - Syracuse Mets
- Clippers Hold on to Claim Game Two - Columbus Clippers
- Knights Sink the Stripers 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Come up Short Again in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Big Fourth Buries Tribe in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- 'Pigs Edge Wings in 10 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rosa, Bats Can't Hold off Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Hens Win in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Fall to Chiefs, 5-4 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens, 8-4 - Louisville Bats
- RailRiders Top Red Sox to Even Record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Take Game 1 in Extra Innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Fall 7-4 to RailRiders in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- On-Field Movie Night Is August 10 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-34) at Columbus Clippers (39-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, June 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 29 - Louisville Bats
- LHP Jordan Guerrero Promoted to Charlotte Today - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Celebrate a Patriotic Week of Festivities at Coca-Cola Park - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs and Red Wings Begin Three-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Week with Five Fireworks Shows - Durham Bulls
- David Mickey Evans Added to Sandlot Night Festivities - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats to Host July 3 Media Hot Dog Eating Contest - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- IronPigs Announce COVID-19 Safety Plan for Coca-Cola Park
- Gary Jones to Manage IronPigs in 2021
- IronPigs Season Update
- IronPigs Announce 2021 Season Game Times
- IronPigs Announce 2021 Schedule