Rosa, Bats Can't Hold off Durham
Garabez Rosa homered and doubled to power a nine-hit attack, but the Durham Bulls charged past the Tides 5-3 Friday night at Harbor Park.
Rosa got the Tides on the board in the first inning with an opposite-field solo blast off of Ryan Weber (5-3), then doubled and scored in the ninth inning. Rosa has now hit safely in five consecutive games, batting .400 (8-20) with a homer, three doubles and six runs scored over that stretch.
Donnie Hart made the start for Norfolk - his first professional start after opening his career with 254 consecutive appearances in relief. Hart retired all seven batters he faced, striking out four while throwing 19 of his 28 pitches for strikes. He's now turned in five consecutive scoreless appearances with Norfolk and owns a 2.33 ERA in 21 games this season.
The Tides led the contest 1-0 until the fifth, but the Bulls took the lead off of Matt Wotherspoon (2-5) on an RBI groundout by Jeremy Hazelbaker and a run-scoring single from Kean Wong. Norfolk knotted the contest in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI double from Mike Yastrzemski, but Durham reclaimed the lead for good in the sixth frame thanks to a solo home run from Suffolk product Brandon Lowe - his eighth home in his last 10 games. The Bulls later added RBI doubles from Ji-Man Choi and Jason Coats to take a 5-2 lead.
Rosa doubled and scored as the Tides tried to rally in the ninth, but Ruben Alaniz retired the final three batters of the contest to earn his first save of the season.
Seven of the nine Norfolk batters registered a hit in the contest, but the Tides finished 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position. The Bulls extended their lead over the Tides in the IL South to 3.5 games with the win, as Durham improved to 7-2 against Norfolk this season.
The two clubs will continue their four-game set on Saturday night at Harbor Park, with first pitch slated for 7:05. Chris Tillman is set to join the Tides and make a Major League rehab assignment, while Durham will counter with RHP Andrew Kittredge (2-0, 2.42).
Saturday is Star Wars Night at Harbor Park, as costumed characters from the Star Wars universe will be on hand throughout the game to interact with fans. Gates will open at 5:30 pm on Saturday, as fans are invited to come onto the field and take photos with their favorite Tides players from 5:45 - 6:15 pm. There will also be a postgame fireworks show presented by Your Local Ford Dealer.
Notes: Prior to Friday's game, the Orioles selected the contracts of RHP Ryan Meisinger and LHP Paul Fry from Norfolk, with the duo both making their Major League debuts on Friday...With the promotion of Meisinger and Fry to Baltimore, there have now been 20 players to appear on the active roster for both the Tides and Orioles this season...Donnie Hart is the 13th starting pitcher the Tides have used this season...With a stolen base by Adrian Marin, Norfolk is now 40-for-49 on stolen base attempts this year.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Four-Run Eighth Leads Chiefs to Comeback Win over Herd - Syracuse Mets
- Clippers Hold on to Claim Game Two - Columbus Clippers
- Knights Sink the Stripers 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Come up Short Again in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Big Fourth Buries Tribe in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- 'Pigs Edge Wings in 10 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rosa, Bats Can't Hold off Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Hens Win in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Fall to Chiefs, 5-4 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens, 8-4 - Louisville Bats
- RailRiders Top Red Sox to Even Record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Take Game 1 in Extra Innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Fall 7-4 to RailRiders in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- On-Field Movie Night Is August 10 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-34) at Columbus Clippers (39-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, June 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 29 - Louisville Bats
- LHP Jordan Guerrero Promoted to Charlotte Today - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Celebrate a Patriotic Week of Festivities at Coca-Cola Park - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs and Red Wings Begin Three-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Week with Five Fireworks Shows - Durham Bulls
- David Mickey Evans Added to Sandlot Night Festivities - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats to Host July 3 Media Hot Dog Eating Contest - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Tides Stories
- Have Breakfast with Santa at Harbor Park
- Norfolk Tides Win Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- Tides to Renovate Churchland Little League Field Tuesday
- Tides to Renovate Thalia/Malibu Rec Association Field Tuesday
- Orioles Announce 2018 Award Winners for Player Development & Scouting