David Mickey Evans Added to Sandlot Night Festivities
MOOSIC, PA. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders are pleased to announce that David Mickey Evans, the director/ co-writer of the 1993 baseball classic "The Sandlot," will be in attendance on July 28 at PNC Field as the club honors the 25th anniversary of the film.
"The Sandlot was actually inspired by an incident in my childhood," Evans said. "My little brother jumped a backyard fence to retrieve a baseball. There was a vicious dog back there chained up."
Evans was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre and wrote the script along with Robert Gunter. The Sandlot has become one of the most iconic baseball stories of all time.
"I can literally remember every single moment of that magical summer," Evans stated for the anniversary release DVD. " None of us had any idea what would become of the movie we were making, that remains, like the great tagline from the original trailer, "A little piece of paradise a half a block wide and a whole summer long!" We knew we were having fun, we knew we were getting good stuff, but there was no way to know whether it would stand the test of time."
The RailRiders are giving away 2,500 Hamilton "Ham" Porter bobbleheads, presented by Dickson City Hyundai. Patrick Renna, the actor who portrayed Porter in the movie will also be in attendance to sign autographs.
Tickets for The Sandlot Night or any remaining home game are available now online at swbrailriders.com or by calling (570) 969-BALL.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Four-Run Eighth Leads Chiefs to Comeback Win over Herd - Syracuse Mets
- Clippers Hold on to Claim Game Two - Columbus Clippers
- Knights Sink the Stripers 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Come up Short Again in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Big Fourth Buries Tribe in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- 'Pigs Edge Wings in 10 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rosa, Bats Can't Hold off Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Hens Win in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Fall to Chiefs, 5-4 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens, 8-4 - Louisville Bats
- RailRiders Top Red Sox to Even Record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Take Game 1 in Extra Innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Fall 7-4 to RailRiders in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- On-Field Movie Night Is August 10 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-34) at Columbus Clippers (39-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, June 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 29 - Louisville Bats
- LHP Jordan Guerrero Promoted to Charlotte Today - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Celebrate a Patriotic Week of Festivities at Coca-Cola Park - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs and Red Wings Begin Three-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Week with Five Fireworks Shows - Durham Bulls
- David Mickey Evans Added to Sandlot Night Festivities - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats to Host July 3 Media Hot Dog Eating Contest - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Set 2021 Game Times
- Davis to Helm SWB RailRiders in 2021
- RailRiders Announce 2021 Schedule
- SWB Announces Signing of PDL
- RailRiders Statement on Yankees New Minor League Affiliation Structure