Four-Run Eighth Leads Chiefs to Comeback Win over Herd
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Chiefs overcame a three-run deficit to beat the Buffalo Bisons, 5-4, in front of an electric crowd of 5,364 at NBT Bank Stadium on Friday night. The Chiefs racked up three singles and four walks in a four-run eighth inning en route to the win.
Syracuse (33-46) trailed, 4-1, entering the bottom of the eighth inning. Irving Falu led off with a single. Two batters later, Stevenson singled up the middle, placing runners at first and second. Sanchez followed with a single to right field that advanced Stevenson to second and scored Falu to trim the deficit to two, 4-2. With Jacob Wilson batting, Buffalo catcher Reese McGuire tried to pick off Sanchez at first base, but McGuire made an errant throw that allowed Stevenson to move to third and Sanchez to second. Wilson then walked to load the bases. Raudy Read followed with a sacrifice fly to left field that brought home Stevenson from third to cut the Buffalo lead to one, 4-3. Matt Reynolds then worked a walk to load the bases again. José Marmolejos followed with a four-pitch walk that scored Sanchez to knot the game, 4-4. Yadiel Hernandez also earned a four-pitch walk with the bases loaded to score Wilson as the go-ahead run for a 5-4 Chiefs lead.
Buffalo (37-36) got on the board early with a run in the top of the first inning. Roemon Fields was hit by a pitch to lead off the game. Fields then stole second base and scored when Rowdy Tellez singled to center field for a 1-0 Bisons lead.
The Chiefs got their first run in the bottom of the third. With one out, Stevenson tripled. Sanchez followed with a sacrifice fly deep to left field, scoring Stevenson to tie the game, 1-1.
The Bisons regained the lead in the fifth. With Fields at first base, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. doubled to the center-field wall, bringing home Fields from first to give Buffalo a 2-1 edge. Gurriel moved to third base on a Rowdy Tellez fly out to right field. Anthony Alford followed with double down the right-field line that scored Gurriel to give the Bisons a 3-1 advantage.
Buffalo added a run in the seventh. With two outs and nobody on base, Alford crushed a pitch over the left-field wall for a solo home run that put the Bisons up 4-1.
Syracuse and Buffalo continue their three-game series on Saturday night with the second game of the series. RHP Phillips Valdez is scheduled to start for the Chiefs while RHP Nick Tepesch will throw for the Bisons. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
Images from this story
Syracuse Chiefs exchange high fives in the dugout
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Four-Run Eighth Leads Chiefs to Comeback Win over Herd - Syracuse Mets
- Clippers Hold on to Claim Game Two - Columbus Clippers
- Knights Sink the Stripers 5-4 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Come up Short Again in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Big Fourth Buries Tribe in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- 'Pigs Edge Wings in 10 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rosa, Bats Can't Hold off Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Hens Win in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Fall to Chiefs, 5-4 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens, 8-4 - Louisville Bats
- RailRiders Top Red Sox to Even Record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Take Game 1 in Extra Innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Fall 7-4 to RailRiders in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- On-Field Movie Night Is August 10 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-34) at Columbus Clippers (39-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, June 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 29 - Louisville Bats
- LHP Jordan Guerrero Promoted to Charlotte Today - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Celebrate a Patriotic Week of Festivities at Coca-Cola Park - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs and Red Wings Begin Three-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Week with Five Fireworks Shows - Durham Bulls
- David Mickey Evans Added to Sandlot Night Festivities - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats to Host July 3 Media Hot Dog Eating Contest - Louisville Bats
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Will Host Virtual Open House Online on April 15th
- Syracuse Mets Tickets for the 2021 Season on Sale Starting April 20th, 10 a.m.
- Syracuse Mets Fan Cutouts Will Raise Money for COVID-19 Support in CNY
- Syracuse Mets Announce 2021 Schedule
- Mets Invite Four Teams to be Their Affiliates