The King Fish Returns to the Pond
Toledo, OH - The Walleye All-Time leader in points, assists and games played Shane Berschbach has agreed to terms for the 2019-2020 season.
Berschbach, a native of Clawson, Michigan, is coming off another outstanding season in which he produced a team leading 63 points (20G, 43A). He added in another 21 points (9G, 12A) during the Walleye run to the Kelly Cup Finals. The 28-year-old passed Toledo Hockey Hall of Famer Kyle Rogers this past season when appearing in his 320th game as a Walleye. In five years, Berschbach has posted at least 50 points in every season with Toledo.
"Shane has been a linchpin to our success going back to 2014," said Head Coach Dan Watson. "We are excited to have him return for his 6th season in a Walleye uniform. His playmaking ability and leadership will be counted on again to help his teammates get better, while leading us back to the finals."
Heading into this season Berschbach is also the Walleye All-Time leader in points (330) and also holds the top spot in assists (234). His 96 career goals ranks second on the Walleye all-time list behind only Evan Rankin (111). Only Toledo Hockey Hall of Famer Rick Judson (244) has produced more assists and points (441) in a Toledo ECHL uniform than Berschbach. He also ranks third behind only Judson (455) and Rob Thorpe (364) in career ECHL games played for Toledo. Berschbach is a two-time winner of the ECHL Sportsmanship Award (2015-2017) while also being named to the ECHL First Team in the 2015-2016 season and Second Team in the 2016-2017 campaign.
Prior to joining Toledo, Berschbach spent four years at Western Michigan University while appearing in 146 games. He collected 117 points (39G, 78A) while playing as a plus 27 for the Broncos. Berschbach was part of the Western Michigan team that won the CCHA championship in 2012.
Your defending Western Conference Champion Toledo Walleye return to the Huntington Center on Saturday, November 2 and Sunday, November 3, for their 2019-20 Home Opening weekend. Last season Toledo sold-out 31 of 36 regular season games averaging more than 7,700 fans per game. Don't miss any of the exciting action. Game Plans are on sale now. Call 419-725-9255 or online at www.toledowalleye.com. #OurFishOurFight
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 30, 2019
- Admirals Sign Utica College Standout Gregg Burmaster - Norfolk Admirals
- The King Fish Returns to the Pond - Toledo Walleye
- Captain John McCarron Set to Return for Fourth Season with 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Defenseman Nolan Gluchowski Returns for 2019-20 Season - Idaho Steelheads
- Wings Looking to Find the Next 'Slappy' - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oilers Re-Sign Steven Kaunisto - Tulsa Oilers
- Dexter Dancs Comes Back for Second Pro Season - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Inks All-Star Netminder Gillam - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Sign Two-Time Big Ten Champion Jenkins - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Nab Clarkson Forward Marly Quince - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Re-Sign Todd Skirving - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Sign Supinski - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.