Tajon Buchanan Named 2020 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution's Tajon Buchanan has been named the Canadian Men's Youth International Player of the Year, Canada Soccer announced Tuesday. Buchanan received the honor for his performances and progress as part of Canada Soccer's National Team programs.
The Canadian Youth International Players of the Year Award celebrates Canada's top two youth footballers. For the 2020 award, the list of men's nominees featured Canadian Under-23 players given that no international competitions took place because of the global Covid-19 pandemic. Buchanan, along with women's recipient Jade Rose, are the third winners of the award that was introduced in 2018 to recognize achievements with Canada Soccer's Youth National Teams with an emphasis on their performances at age-category international competitions.
Other notable MLS players nominated for the award include Buchanan's former college teammate Kamal Miller (Orlando City SC), Alistair Johnston (Nashville SC), Dayne St. Clair (Minnesota United FC), and Michael Baldisimo (Vancouver Whitecaps FC).
Buchanan, a 21-year-old Brampton, Ontario native, led all Canadians in Major League Soccer appearances with 23 during the 2020 season. He was one of only two Revolution players to appear in every regular season game for the Revolution, and has also started all three of New England's Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoff wins to date. For his MLS career, the second-year pro owns 33 regular season appearances, with 15 starts, two goals, and four assists. In his postseason career, all in 2020, Buchanan has recorded one goal across three starts.
Buchanan scored his first career goal on Sept. 12 against Philadelphia Union and finished the 2020 MLS regular season with two goals and two assists over the 23-game slate. Playing primarily as a forward during the regular season, Buchanan made the switch to right back during New England's ongoing run in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs. In addition to his goal in Round One against Philadelphia, Buchanan drew a penalty in the Conference Semifinal against Orlando City.
Earlier this year, Buchanan received his first call-up as one of 20 players selected to represent Canada at the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship in March. However, the tournament was postponed, leaving Buchanan still in search for his first appearance with Canada.
Tajon Buchanan's Career Highlights:
Drafted ninth overall by New England in the first round of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
Has made 33 appearances for New England at the MLS level, starting on 15 occasions with two goals and four assists in his career.
Scored all three of his MLS goals in 2020, including one in the first round of the 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Finished tied for fourth in MLS with 18 fouls won in the final third this season.
Played in 33 games over two seasons at Syracuse University, finishing his collegiate career with 12 goals and six assists.
Named First Team All-Atlantic Coast Conference during his sophomore season at Syracuse in 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 1, 2020
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on 10 Players - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Tajon Buchanan Named 2020 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- LAFC and Target to Host Week-Long Virtual Toy Drive from December 1 Ã¢ÂÂ December 5 - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition - Seattle Sounders FC
- Montreal Impact Acquires Defender Zorhan Bassong - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC to Face Cruz Azul in Single-Leg Quarterfinal on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:30 PM PT - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal - Atlanta United FC
- Return Leg against CD Olimpia to be Played on December 15 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Impact Donates Clothes All over Quebec and in Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 - New York City FC
- Vanney Steps Down as Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Make Two Selections in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- New England Revolution and Defender Alexander Buttner Part Ways
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Goalkeeper Matt Turner
- New England Revolution Introduce "Touches for C.H.A.N.G.E." Program
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Emmanuel Boateng