Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract
ORLANDO, Fla. - Following the conclusion of its 2020 Major League Soccer season, Orlando City SC has completed the permanent transfer of center back Antonio Carlos from Brazilian side Palmeiras, effective January 1, 2021. Following that move, the Club then signed the Brazilian international to a three-year contract with the option for an additional year.
"The presence and stability Antonio Carlos brought to our backline was a key piece of the team's defensive success during this last season," Orlando City EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi said. "Negotiating a deal with Palmeiras to his rights was a key focus for us for this offseason and we are happy to get this deal not only completed, but to secure Antonio Carlos as a member of Orlando City for the foreseeable future."
Antonio Carlos, 27, joined the Lions ahead of the 2020 season on loan from the Alviverde club. In his first season with Orlando, Antonio Carlos featured in 26 matches across all competitions, helping lead a backline that held regular-season opponents to a Club-record 1.09 goals allowed per game.
The 6-foot-3 defender scored his first MLS goal on Oct. 3 in a 3-1 win over the New York Red Bulls, while also contributing one assist on the year. His 57 aerials won, 108 clearances and 77.8% tackle success rate also led the Lions throughout the course of the season, while his blocks total (18) was second on the team.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City SC signs defender Antonio Carlos to a three-year contract with an option for an additional year following a permanent transfer from Palmeiras.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 1, 2020
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on 10 Players - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Tajon Buchanan Named 2020 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- LAFC and Target to Host Week-Long Virtual Toy Drive from December 1 Ã¢ÂÂ December 5 - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition - Seattle Sounders FC
- Montreal Impact Acquires Defender Zorhan Bassong - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC to Face Cruz Azul in Single-Leg Quarterfinal on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:30 PM PT - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal - Atlanta United FC
- Return Leg against CD Olimpia to be Played on December 15 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Impact Donates Clothes All over Quebec and in Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 - New York City FC
- Vanney Steps Down as Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.