Montreal Impact Acquires Defender Zorhan Bassong
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday the acquisition of full-back and Canadian international Zorhan Bassong (pronunciation: Zo-ranne Ba-sson), who has signed a two-season contract with two option years. His acquisition will be confirmed upon reception of his international transfer certificate and medical examination.
"We are very happy to announce the signing of Zorhan Bassong, with whom we've had an agreement for 2021 for some time. We preferred to wait to make the announcement to avoid destabilizing the players in his position, and achieve our 2020 goals," said Montreal Impact sporting director Olivier Renard. "He is a versatile young Canadian, playing as a left or right back, or as a center-back in a three-man defense. He's shown a great desire to come back here, and he is delighted with the club's project."
Bassong, 21, was born in Toronto, but his family moved to Montreal just months after his birth. From the age of five, he played his minor soccer at CS Longueuil, before making the jump to Europe, in Belgium (Mouscron's and Anderlecht's youth systems) and France (Lille OSC's youth system). In 2016, he made his debut with Lille's reserve team, where he played 31 games, before joining Cercle Brugge, in Belgium's Jupiler Pro League, in 2019.
Earlier this year, he made his international debut for Canada on January 10, when the Reds beat Barbados 4-1. In February, he was also named on the provisional roster of the U-23 national team for the Concacaf Olympic qualifying tournament.
Transaction: The Montreal Impact acquired Canadian international full-back Zorhan Bassong from Cercle Brugge, who has signed a two-year contract with two option years.
ZORHAN BASSONG (pronunciation: Zo-ranne Ba-sson)
Date of birth: May 7, 1999
Place of birth: Toronto, Ontario
Citizenship: Canadian and Belgian
Last club: Cercle Brugge (Belgium)
Date of transfer: December 1, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 1, 2020
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on 10 Players - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Tajon Buchanan Named 2020 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- LAFC and Target to Host Week-Long Virtual Toy Drive from December 1 Ã¢ÂÂ December 5 - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition - Seattle Sounders FC
- Montreal Impact Acquires Defender Zorhan Bassong - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC to Face Cruz Azul in Single-Leg Quarterfinal on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:30 PM PT - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal - Atlanta United FC
- Return Leg against CD Olimpia to be Played on December 15 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Impact Donates Clothes All over Quebec and in Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 - New York City FC
- Vanney Steps Down as Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- Contract Extension for James Pantemis
- CF Montreal Selects Giuseppe Barone at the MLS SuperDraft
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal
- CF Montreal Acquires Defender Aljaz "Kiki" Struna
- Montreal Impact Becomes Club de Foot Montreal