Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension
ORLANDO, Fla. - Following the conclusion of its 2020 Major League Soccer season, Orlando City SC and Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra have agreed to a one-year contract extension, it was announced today. Pereyra's previous contract concluded following the 2020 season.
Pereyra, 30, joined the Lions in their 2019 season when he was acquired via a free transfer from FC Krasnodar in Russia.
"We are very excited to have Mauricio continue with us in Orlando for another year," Orlando City EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi said. "He has shown himself to be incredibly creative and a driving force behind our attack. Mauricio is a very important piece on our roster and we look forward to seeing how he continues to elevate his game with the Club next season."
In his first two seasons in Orlando, Pereyra started in 19 of his 22 appearances for City, scoring two goals and adding 11 assists. During the 2020 regular season, the Lions went 8-1-5 with a +13 goal differential in 14 matches in which Pereyra earned the start. In addition, the Lions' No. 10 finished second on the team this season in chances created with 38.
The Montevideo native was named to MLS Team of the Week twice through the course of the 2020 season, with an additional appearance on the Team of the Week bench. Since starting his career in 2009, Pereyra has made 342 competitive appearances, netting 39 goals and adding 47 helpers.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City SC midfielder Mauricio Pereyra signs a one-year contract extension through the 2021 MLS season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 1, 2020
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on 10 Players - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension - Orlando City SC
- Tajon Buchanan Named 2020 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- LAFC and Target to Host Week-Long Virtual Toy Drive from December 1 Ã¢ÂÂ December 5 - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition - Seattle Sounders FC
- Montreal Impact Acquires Defender Zorhan Bassong - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC to Face Cruz Azul in Single-Leg Quarterfinal on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:30 PM PT - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal - Atlanta United FC
- Return Leg against CD Olimpia to be Played on December 15 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Impact Donates Clothes All over Quebec and in Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Announces Roster Moves for 2021 - New York City FC
- Vanney Steps Down as Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin
- Orlando City Selects Forward Derek Dodson in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Orlando City Acquires No. 8 Selection in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium
- Four City Homegrowns Join CF Pachuca for Offseason Training Stint