Sweet Deals, Honeyman Delivers in 1-0 Victory
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - Devin Sweet recorded the first quality start of his Minor League career, and Bobby Honeyman provided the game-changing knock in the top of the tenth to push West Virginia to a 1-0 win over the Lakewood BlueClaws in 10 innings Friday evening at FirstEnergy Park.
Sweet was marvelous in his second career Minor League start, hurling a career-high six shutout innings while scattering four hits and striking out a career-best seven men. The right-hander's best stretch started with one down in the third, as he retired 11 men in a row and worked his way into the sixth. Sweet ran into some trouble with two down in his final stanza, ceding back-to-back hits to Rafael Marchan and Luis Garcia to put runners at second and third. However, the Greensboro native battled back to fan Abrahan Gutierrez to end the inning and secure his first MiLB quality start.
Victor Santos outdueled Sweet over the first five innings, twirling five perfect frames and striking out five batters on just 56 pitches. Francisco Morales took over in the sixth and got the first batter he faced, Onil Pena, to line out to second. The next batter, Nick Rodriguez, broke up the perfect game and the no-hitter, blooping a base hit to left-center to give the Power (1-1, 38-34) their first baserunner. However, Morales settled down and maneuvered through the ninth inning without allowing another hit and picked up seven strikeouts.
Elias Espino and Benjamin Onyshko (2-0) held Lakewood (1-1, 30-42) scoreless over the final three innings of regulation, not conceding a hit and walking just one batter.
In the top of the tenth with Joseph Rosa as the placed-on-runner at second base, Julio Rodriguez grounded out to first to move Rosa to third. The next batter, Honeyman, stroked a single off Mark Potter (0-3) through the drawn-in infield to notch the Power's only run of the night.
Onyshko walked the first batter he faced in the bottom of the tenth, but then got Ben Pelletier to ground into a 4-3 double play for the first two outs, while Carlos De La Cruz, the BlueClaws' placed on runner, shifted to third base. Dayeison Arias (S,5) relieved Onyshko and recorded the final out, inducing a grounder back to the mound to seal the 1-0 win.
West Virginia continues its four-game series against the Lakewood BlueClaws Saturday evening at FirstEnergy Park, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. LHP Steven Moyers (6-4, 4.29 ERA) heads to the hill for the Power, while the BlueClaws send righty James McArthur (0-4, 5.35 ERA) to the slab. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on Thursday, June 27, to begin a seven-game homestand against the Kannapolis Intimidators and Hickory Crawdads. It's Wheelers Weekend in downtown Charleston, with West Virginia honoring their former moniker over a three-day stretch from June 28-30. On June 29, the first 1,000 fans will receive a Dan Wilson replica Wheelers jersey giveaway! For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Schmidt Masterful But Again Denied Win - Asheville Tourists
- Total Team Win as Fireflies Fight for First Win in Second Half - Columbia Fireflies
- Upshaw's Five RBI Propel Suns to 14-6 Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Dominant Pitching Leads Kannapolis to Friday Night Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Crawdads Down RiverDogs as Benches Clear in Game Two in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Home Runs Lead 'Dads Past RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Wilson Guides 'Birds to 50th Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lexington Unable to Respond as Drive Takes Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Claws Fall 1-0 in 10 After Santos Throws Five Perfect Innings - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kannapolis Pitching Continues to Shine with 6-1 Victory over Jackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sweet Deals, Honeyman Delivers in 1-0 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 21 at Asheville - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Introduce Beauchamp as Head Groundskeeper - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Notes (June 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Take the COMET to the Ballpark on June 28 for BOGO Tickets - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Suites Available - Rome Braves
- Vientos Homers, Fireflies Fall Short in Asheville Slugfest - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.