Kannapolis Pitching Continues to Shine with 6-1 Victory over Jackets
KANNAPOLIS, NORTH CAROLINA: The Augusta GreenJackets (36-34, 0-2) have scored just one-run in the first 18-innings over the last two nights with the Kannapolis Intimidators (30-40, 2-0), and Kannapolis held on for a 6-1 win on Friday evening. The Jackets scored their one-run in the 5th inning, but Kannapolis's offense did too much damage for the GreenJackets to overcome.
The Intimidators struck first for the 2nd consecutive night. In the 2nd inning, with GreenJackets starter Blake Rivera on the mound, Kannapolis drove in two runs. The first on a wild pitch, and the 2nd run came in on an RBI groundout from Jhoandro Alfaro to give Kannapolis a 2-0 lead. The Blake Rivera scoreless inning streak ended at 13.0 innings going back to his last two starts, as he came into the game without allowing a run over his last 11.2 frames.
The GreenJackets scored their first run of the series in the 5th inning. Ismael Munguia grounded-out, and it scored Andres Angulo from 3rd base to make it just 2-1 Kannapolis. But the Intimidators had a big answer off Rivera in the 5th.
Alex Destino belted his 5th home run of the year, a three-run blast, and it gave Kannapolis a 5-1 lead. Later in the inning, Corey Zangari continued to produce, as he drove in a run, on his 3rd double of the night and it made the score 6-1 Intimidators.
The GreenJackets offense could not bring home another run, and Kannapolis takes the first two games of the four-game series.
Player of the Game: Shane Matheny, 2-4
Shane Matheny and Jacob Gonzalez had four of the five GreenJackets hits, as it was Matheny's 14th multi-hit game of 2019. The left-handed bat from Washington State University lifted his average to .214 for 2019.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:00 PM vs Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox), Intimidators Stadium, Kannapolis, North Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (KAN) RHP Jason Bilous (2-4, 2.83 ERA) vs (AUG) LHP Seth Corry (1-2, 2.74 ERA)
GreenJackets All-Star Seth Corry will make his first of the 2nd half against Kannapolis on Saturday night. Corry is coming off his All-Star Game appearance in West Virginia on Tuesday. In that outing, he went one-inning and did not allow a run, while surrendering just one hit and striking-out two. Corry this season, leads the team with 73 strikeouts and he has held opponents to just a .194 average. He is ranked as the #25 overall prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization according to MLB.com.
Jason Bilous gets set to make his 2nd appearance of the year against the GreenJackets. Bilous pitched four innings against the GreenJackets on June 7th and he allowed just one run while striking-out four. Bilous was a 13th round selection by the White Sox in 2018 out of Coastal Carolina University. This season, South Atlantic League hitters are batting just .224 against him. Bilous will make his 18th appearance of the season tomorrow, and his 4th start of 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Schmidt Masterful But Again Denied Win - Asheville Tourists
- Total Team Win as Fireflies Fight for First Win in Second Half - Columbia Fireflies
- Upshaw's Five RBI Propel Suns to 14-6 Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Dominant Pitching Leads Kannapolis to Friday Night Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Crawdads Down RiverDogs as Benches Clear in Game Two in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Home Runs Lead 'Dads Past RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Wilson Guides 'Birds to 50th Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lexington Unable to Respond as Drive Takes Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Claws Fall 1-0 in 10 After Santos Throws Five Perfect Innings - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kannapolis Pitching Continues to Shine with 6-1 Victory over Jackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sweet Deals, Honeyman Delivers in 1-0 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 21 at Asheville - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Introduce Beauchamp as Head Groundskeeper - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Notes (June 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Take the COMET to the Ballpark on June 28 for BOGO Tickets - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Suites Available - Rome Braves
- Vientos Homers, Fireflies Fall Short in Asheville Slugfest - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.